Roadster chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster chassis

Hi All a question what's the chances of a roadster chassis still being sound after 26 years in a canvas garage this is on a fully built car !

Re: Roadster chassis

Originally posted by thackery View Post
    Hi All a question what's the chances of a roadster chassis still being sound after 26 years in a canvas garage this is on a fully built car !
    If it has not had water standing on it, I'd say pretty good: the converse applies.

Comment

As far as I can tell the canvas garage kept it dry it just looks like condensation rust on most metal parts and even thin items have stayed solid

Comment

Weren't the Roadster chassis all carefully welded up so as to not have the innards open to the elements? Should help a lot in reducing internal corrosion.
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

If its a Marina or hybrid chassis the most vulnerable area is the single skin panel below the door where the wing bolts up.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Had my chassis for 34 years, still as good as new. Been kept in unheated garages all this time

Comment

Mine too, after 6-9 yrs outside under a tarp.

Comment

Well that sounds promising I will soon find out thanks .

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                  If its a Marina or hybrid chassis the most vulnerable area is the single skin panel below the door where the wing bolts up.
                  Echoing Ben...my low mileage hangar queen was decidedly crusty below the doors when the wings last came off.
                  Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                  Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Mine too. I think that the wing rubs on the chassis where it touches wearing through the paint. A little oil is probably the best protection.
                    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

The best way to cure that problem is to fit wing beading between wing and body, also cuts out a lot of squeaks made by body flexing.
                      Don't go for the plastic stuff use the old type pvc and fabric, you could even fit it without removing the wings and running boards by cutting slots in it and by slacking off the mounting bolts.
                      Just an idea, I did mine about 14 years ago never looked back'
                      If you choose to remove the wings etc. fit the beading in place with doublesided sailmakers adhesive tape, its stickier than a sticky thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X