Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

My list is based on information gleaned from parts books and from handling the two different racks personally, and side by side.

Clearly there are a limited number of other racks, but without definitive data, like the chassis number of the Marina they came from I am reluctant to add them to my list as info will just be a series of question marks, i.e. What is the rack ratio, because that is an occasional request by people looking for a faster rack.

Until definitive data surfaces they are little more than a curiosity, unless they can be identified through the Morris Marina Owners Club and accurate data recorded.

I think the point is for Marina based roadsters is that the key difference is the two different mounting methods.
    Once you understand that, you can make a purchase of a rack that will fit your Roadster.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
      That's a new one on me. Can you post pictures or email to me please, [email protected] not listed in Pitstop.

The significant difference between the two racks that I identified was always in the mounting method, that seemed to be a bit of cost reduction engineering, the change in length I put down to the change from Crossply to Radial tyres and turning circles etc.

Any knowledge that fills gaps is good knowledge.
      Picture of the rack .I was informed it was marked 21H6792 ??
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi all, I've been following this post with great interest, as I also have play somewhere on the nearside inner part of the rack .I will be investigating the cause shortly.
        The markings on the rack I have fitted to my Marina Roadster is the 21H6792 that the previous post refers to.
        So at least I can confirm that it does fit the car. I have no idea of the ratio of the rack though.

Hopefully my Marlin Roadster will be back on the road soon after 12 years being stored. It's taken 8 months to restore so far..

I have just stripped the nearside of the rack to reveal that there was no bush there at all!(There are no remains inside the gaitor either).

How do we ascertain how much EP90 oil to put in the steering rack?
        Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 07-06-17, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
          Hi all, I've been following this post with great interest, as I also have play somewhere on the nearside inner part of the rack .I will be investigating the cause shortly.
          The markings on the rack I have fitted to my Marina Roadster is the 21H6792 that the previous post refers to.
          So at least I can confirm that it does fit the car. I have no idea of the ratio of the rack though.

Hopefully my Marlin Roadster will be back on the road soon after 12 years being stored. It's taken 8 months to restore so far.

Morris Marina Mk2, Mk3 & Ital
          RHD = 21H 6790

LHD = 21H 6791
          ??? = 21H 6792. Not listed in any of my parts manuals and untraceable on the internet.

It could be that it never made the partsbooks as it was the very final Ital model. Unless we can track down the donor car specification which is unlikely.

If there are other parts of the car that are identifiable as late Ital we may get to the bottom of this enigma,

MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

I thought I would backtrack on this.
            The part number 21H2457 does not appear to be a Marina number at all.
            The earliest Marinas had part numbers starting from 21H5xxx running out around 21H7xxx. When BL took over production new part numbers became FAMxxxx or CAMxxxx but old part numbers were not changed.

The mystery deepens. With still no definitive data.
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

The plot thickens !!.I have found another Steering Rack listed on E-Bay which the man says is marked 21H6792 . and it's listed as a re-con unit for a Marina.The Item Number is 263066186914 . He also reckons he has another 50 unmarked units available..Might be a good lead for some of you..

Comment

Originally posted by old_n_notpastityet View Post
                The plot thickens !!.I have found another Steering Rack listed on E-Bay which the man says is marked 21H6792 . and it's listed as a re-con unit for a Marina.The Item Number is 263066186914 . He also reckons he has another 50 unmarked units available..Might be a good lead for some of you..
                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2630661869...&sojTags=bu=bu
                If the part number and age of rebuilds from the 1990's can be relied upon, it could indicate, that as in my previous suggestion, these could originate from an Ital, that were only built between '80 and '84. In '82 the suspension was revised notably with the addition of telescopic front dampers, replacing the earlier lever arm units, but the parts books in my possession that show the telescopic damper conversion do not show this rack number. Could it have been a later short lived modification?
                I wonder if this is another clue in the story?

Neither I or anyone else I know in the Marina/Ital world recognise the number, though it does apparently follow a Marina sequence.

It would be most helpful to put a Mk2 rack next to one of these, and do a direct stripdown comparison.
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Stupid idea perhaps, but could there be some confusion over numbers ?

Q249 donor car was a 1981 Ital and the rack is supposedly 21H6702....for 0 read 9 ??????

The owner is also looking to sort the same problem out

I've not been close enough to the car (lately) to check it out

DC

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                    Stupid idea perhaps, but could there be some confusion over numbers ?

Q249 donor car was a 1981 Ital and the rack is supposedly 21H6702....for 0 read 9 ??????

The owner is also looking to sort the same problem out

I've not been close enough to the car (lately) to check it out

DC
                    The difficulty comes with Marlin Roadsters and kit cars in general, people do not always keep a record of the donor chassis number. That would give a good clue.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

• Re: Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

Chris Weedon is on [email protected] Very nice chap bush ordered.

Comment

• Re: Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                        Chris Weedon is on [email protected] Very nice chap bush ordered.

Always best to take good advice!
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                        X