Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

My Roadster (1.8TC LWB) failed it's MOT today, due to excessive play in the nearside tie-rod bearing. To be honest, I'm ashamed I didn't spot it before, it's pretty bad.

I've read previous posts on this subject, including Steve's keepandshare files, so have a bit of an idea of my options, but would ask what the current thinking is on the forum? Can I get just the bush anywhere at the moment (is this the bush listed in the manual as '19.ball seat'?) or should I bite the bullet and change the rack? Is it rack out to change either the bush or the rack, anyway, which would make it just a cost based decision?

I can't see any recon racks for sale at the moment, apart from Earlpart who list the recon MK1 racks at £101, so any advice regarding sourcing the bush or the rack would be appreciated. Incidentally, the poly bush from Australia is on ebay @ £20 + £19 carriage - sounds a lot to me! Would make me lean towards a recon rack, depending on whether the bush can be changed without removing the rack from the car.

Thanks
    Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Re: Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

Just making sure I am looking at the correct bush. The car only failed its MOT this morning so haven't had chance to look at the problem properly but the MOT tester showed me where the movement is and, to me, it looks like it is the ball joint on the tie rod under the gaitor. Is this where they go? Is this the bush offered by the Australian company?
    Attached Files
    Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

The part you show is on the off side, the same side as the pinion, so no, its not the part you need.
      As you might also read on this forum, there have been incidences of the recon racks failing after a few months.
      The difficulty and cost of finding the right part in the UK is the problem, so recon companies take a short cut.

Chris Weedon is quite possibly the only source unless someone can manufacture the part in the UK, for that you need a good sample to work from, and so we are back to Australia and Chris Weedon.

Any volunteers to make a batch, the Marina Owners Club will also be grateful.
      Last edited by stevejgreen; 14-09-16, 04:05 PM.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

If its the support bush as Steve says it's an easy job for anyone with a lathe [I had one knocked up at work ] I have in the past also experienced the two halves of the ball seat that item 18 sits in can become unlocked from each other allowing movement. You need to pull back rubber boot to see exactly where the play exists.
        I talked to lots of companies offering recon racks and none could supply me with the support bush. That to me reinforces what Steve says , they don't bother!

Comment

This is a problem I have had quite a bit. I used to solve by fitting reconned racks. I then got a nolothane bush from the Marina owners club and fitted that (it does require rack removal but I’m pretty practiced at that now) The nolothane bush is much more robust than the puny original and I thought the problem was solved. To my surprise at the next pre-MOT check the play had returned. I was about to remove the rack but first released the gaiter. The bush had come out of the rack housing and was up against the ball joint. I used a longer screw to hold it in but I think it has happened again, I asked a friend to bring me another bush back from Australia, they are as cheap as chips there, it’s the postage that’s extortionate, If anyone could get a batch of more substantial bushes made (in what material). I’m sure there would be a demand. I think the reconditioners just rotate the old bush which is a short term fix.

Comment

Thanks all for your comments. Steve, of course you are correct in pointing out that the drawing section I used was for the offside. Derrrr! The nearside section is now shown.

This is interesting because the problem seemed to occur quickly rather than wearing slowly over a longer period, so maybe something has come loose / apart. Having said that I hadn't noticed the problem at all until the MOT so I may be wrong. I had a look last night by pulling back the gaitor and was a bit surprised that oil ran out so reading your comments this morning I wonder if items 43 and 44 (on the drawing below) were in the gaitor. All I could see was the end of item 53. The movement on the tie rod is substantial. It can move up and down until it hits the inside of the casing of item 53.

As you can no doubt tell, I am not an engineer so I have to be careful not to take on a job that I am not capable of, so I am inclined to change the rack, but if recon racks are of variable quality I need to investigate properly before I jump.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sidon View Post
              Thanks all for your comments. Steve, of course you are correct in pointing out that the drawing section I used was for the offside. Derrrr! The nearside section is now shown.

This is interesting because the problem seemed to occur quickly rather than wearing slowly over a longer period, so maybe something has come loose / apart. Having said that I hadn't noticed the problem at all until the MOT so I may be wrong. I had a look last night by pulling back the gaitor and was a bit surprised that oil ran out so reading your comments this morning I wonder if items 43 and 44 (on the drawing below) were in the gaitor. All I could see was the end of item 53. The movement on the tie rod is substantial. It can move up and down until it hits the inside of the casing of item 53.

As you can no doubt tell, I am not an engineer so I have to be careful not to take on a job that I am not capable of, so I am inclined to change the rack, but if recon racks are of variable quality I need to investigate properly before I jump.
              If you read the key to those parts on the next page of the manual you would find that 53 is a Screw that holds 51 the Rack bearing in place in the rack housing.
              A couple of pages further on in the manual are a few more drawings and instructions, but Chris Weedons include real life photos and a lot more detail.

51 is the part you need. There are parts lists on keepandshare, but pretty pointless as there is only one source, unless someone makes their own.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Thanks again Steve. Sorry, I didn't look at the next page as I was only viewing the pdf preview rather than the whole document. I now see that 53 is a screw that holds 51 in the rack housing. Now that I understand the drawing a bit better I see how the shaft inside the rack housing is supported by the bearing. I will take the rack off and look more closely before I decide whether I am capable of replacing the bearing or whether I should take a risk on a recon rack.

Comment

Have a good look through this website http://www.steering-racks.co.uk/rack...assenger-cars/ Listed under Rover, almost at the bottom of the list it shows two types of Marina racks by measurement.

Comment

There are indeed two racks, the Mk2 Marina racks are shorter by 1/4" but more importantly the mountings are very different. I detailed this in a document on keepandshare, so you should be able to identify which one you need. But evidence listed on this and on the Marina owners forum suggests that the recon racks are not up to standard and a gamble in themselves.

It's worth pointing out that the website quoted is factually incorrect on several counts. Primarily that the long rack was never used on an Ital, it's all date based, but many of us do not know the year of the donor parts, perhaps from several cars, so the physical mountings are the clue, as measuring a long racking situ has its own tolerance error in this case less than 1%

It's not a particularly difficult job to replace the bush, if you don't plan to drive the car for the next few months as winter arrives, then you can take your time doing the job. Always assuming the bush is readily available through Chris Weedon.
                    Chris I think did the job in two hours, if it takes you two days, nothing is lost but experience gained and hopefully money saved.
                    Last edited by stevejgreen; 15-09-16, 12:19 PM.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. Not sure which rack I have until I take it off.Will contact Chris Weedon but, just for the record, here is the ebay link for the bush from Australia:

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Nolathane Steering Rack / Pinion Bushing for Leyland Marina 4/1972-1974 at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Just for preference I would tend to use Chris Weedon first.
                        Not only did he do all the research first, I know that for the Marina Owners Club he did buy a batch as there was a lot of interest, thereby reducing postage costs.
                        His skills and time not only help the Marina community but as I have worked with him on several projects I feed his knowledge and skill back into the Mk2 Marlin Roadster community.
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

If you can get the machining done you can purchase a 300mm length of 90 shore polyurethane rod from Direct Plastics for about £16.
                          You would no doubt be able to sell on the ones you don't require and more than get your money back!

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                            If you can get the machining done you can purchase a 300mm length of 90 shore polyurethane rod from Direct Plastics for about £16.
                            You would no doubt be able to sell on the ones you don't require and more than get your money back!
                            And sell some to the Marina Owners Club too.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I really appreciate the help. 'Talking' on here has given me the confidence to have a go at this job. I will take pictures when I am on with it and will report back. If I get some made I will offer them out on an at cost basis.

Comment

Working...
                              X