Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

If you do take it apart and you have suitable accurate measuring equipment, Micrometer or Vernier caliper, will help, take as many measurements as you can. Inside diameter, diameter of the rack shaft, outside diameter, inside diameter of the rack housing, and overall length of the bush etc.

The parts will in all probability be imperial, not metric. Do not trust the dimensions on the eBay Australian part, they are rounded metric sizes.

The centre hole of the new bush should not tubular as it will create a seal, oil is supposed to get past it. Simply drilling a couple of holes around it will be fine, rather than trying to replicate the hexagon of the Aus part.
    It could look like a ring donut that has had candles vertically placed round it and then pulled out.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 16-09-16, 01:16 PM.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
      If you can get the machining done you can purchase a 300mm length of 90 shore polyurethane rod from Direct Plastics for about £16.
      You would no doubt be able to sell on the ones you don't require and more than get your money back!
      Just looking at Superflex site. They offer a bespoke service for the maufacture of special parts. Not cheap though.
      I would look at it closely but postage to and from Spain would make it almost as unprofitable as Australia for me to organise.

I wonder how much they would charge even if given the 'incorrect' metric dimensions of the Australian part as a sample to use for pricing?

Is there someone to pick up the baton for the MOC the Marina Owners Club and all the other kits that use a Marina rack who must be experiencing the same issues. As Marina based cars get older, this problem is highly likely to reappear at greater frequency and may result in Marina Roadsters dissapearing.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

'may result in Marina Roadsters dissapearing.'

A bit over the top Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
          'may result in Marina Roadsters dissapearing.'

A bit over the top Steve.
          Maybe, but there are a few critical parts, mainly front steering/suspension, and gearbox, that are very much Marina specific, nothing else fits.

Without good advice, and not all Marlin Owners follow this forum, people will not be aware that there is an easy solution.

But those that don't, those without the knowledge or skill (no offence intended to Sidon) will potentially see it as insurmountable after repeated failures, and give up with their Roadster.

Please note, I have provided two solutions to this problem and support to a club member. Not as negative as you suggest.
          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring, I still have complete o/s and n/s marlin front suspension, tie bars/rods, eyebolts all with superflex, bushes,,front calipers and if Sidon gets really desperate I have a marina steering rack tube with said left hand side bush.

Comment

I too would be interested in dimensions as regrettably I didn't keep any notes when I had mine manufactured.

Comment

Phil, can you measure the bush and I might be able to make some up.

Comment

Hi, I would certainly be interested in a bush as I have a rack that I took off my car due to this fault. I would like to rebuild as a spare.

When I was rebuilding I only checked for the worn bush thanks to this forum :0)

I was lucky to find a NOS rack on ebay, let's see how long it lasts.
                  Stumbling around in the dark
                  Marina based SWB roadster
                  Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

The nylon/plastic bearing appears to be made of an inner and outer held together by a webbing giving it the means of expanding and contracting. And has 3 tags on the outer dia.
                    The inner diameter of the bearing is 21.2 mm 0.833in
                    The shaft is 21.3mm 0.823in
                    The depth or thickness of the bush is 17.0mm 0.66

Comment

Many thanks. I wonder if the overall length is critical? Could a longer one extend its life?
                      I would love to see a picture of that.
                      Was it a MK1 or a MK2 Marina Rack. I don't believe that is critical but just for information.

I do think that if Superflex could be asked to manufacture an Australian replica, it may well be better for all original Marina owners, and the several, including Marlin, who used the Marina steering rack. Better for everyone, not just the few who use this forum.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

The depth of the bearing could be increased to double, the only problem I see is that the rack bar may foul on it at full lock, this would need investigating.

Unfortunately as I am not a member I have no rights to post photos.

Forgot to mention the part number on the bearing end of the tube is 21H5423

I didn't get your email until a few moments ago and I have posted them via email to your phone, I hope the Photos will be of use to everyone.

Anyone wanting a quick gander at a photo, send me your email in the notifications and I will email you one or two, you see even though I am not a member I don't mind helping people .

I thank you.
                        Last edited by philcoyle; 17-09-16, 02:59 PM.

Comment

OK, I have been chatting in the background with my colleague Chris Weedon.

The current state of play is:He is now getting the Nolathane bushes from their new UK supplier, they import them for him specially and do not hold stock. He has 10 on the shelf., and is happy to sell to Marlin owners. Now £23 inc postage.

At that price, is it worth going to the effort of making your own?
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by phil.coyle View Post
                            The nylon/plastic bearing appears to be made of an inner and outer held together by a webbing giving it the means of expanding and contracting. And has 3 tags on the outer dia.
                            The inner diameter of the bearing is 21.2 mm 0.833in
                            The shaft is 21.3mm 0.823in
                            The depth or thickness of the bush is 17.0mm 0.66
                            Here are Phil's pictures

Due to the controversy that sharing Phils pictures has caused, they will shortly appear as public access on keepandshare.

I will add the link when they are ready to view.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by stevejgreen; 20-09-16, 03:54 PM.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Great, not so rare as was first thought, will get onto him tomorrow and buy a couple.

Thanks for the tip off Steve.

Adrian

tach
                              Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                              OK, I have been chatting in the background with my colleague Chris Weedon.

The current state of play is:He is now getting the Nolathane bushes from their new UK supplier, they import them for him specially and do not hold stock. He has 10 on the shelf., and is happy to sell to Marlin owners. Now £23 inc postage.

At that price, is it worth going to the effort of making your own?

Comment

Still just as rare, still only one known supplier, in Australia, and only one person selling them, in the UK.
                                Nothing has changed except the price in the UK which has dropped significantly.
                                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                                X