Fiat TC 2.0 Alternator belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiat TC 2.0 Alternator belt

We have a Roadster LWB with a Fiat TC 2 litre & matching Fiat gearbox.. The current trouble is the alternator belt...
    It tends to screech now and again and feels a bit on the loose side - but it is apparently the right size belt (1983 Argenta) . Changed it a few months ago & initially it was fine but now I suspect it has stretched a tad and as the alternator is at the maximum reach on its arm; I can't tighten it any more. The belt size is 10 x 850. Looking at the situation, I can only think that a slightly smaller belt (maybe 825/830) would be a better fit as then the alternator could be pulled away on the arm to get the belt nice and tight before being fixed in place with the locking nut. As things are now, the alternator can't move any more out as there's no room left on its arm... There is a metallic hum bearing noise coming from the alternator, only just discernible but I think it may be as a result of the belt just not being tight enough. If not I may be looking for a new alt too shortly.

Thanks
    Tony

Re: Fiat TC 2.0 Alternator belt

Hi Tony,
    I have the Fiat 2.0L engine in my Roadster. I will have a look to see what Alternator belt I have fitted. If there are no markings I will try and measure its length and will post my findings here.
    Chris

Comment

Thanks very much Chris. It would be useful to hear whether your alternator is not at full travel on its arm; that would imply you have a shorter belt.. I'm tempted to take the current belt off & then tie length of thick cord around the pulleys with the arm at half travel then measure the cord..
      Found this tonight: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1607585802...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
      which is 838mm and there's another at 825 available...

Comment

Hi Tony,
        I have just checked my Alternator belt. It is a Quinton Hazell QBA850 and the adjustment is at its fullest extent but I have never had any problems getting the correct tension on the belt. Incidentally, my Alternator is a Magnetti Marelli AA125-14V-45A as per the Haynes Manual supplement. Hope this helps?
        Regards,
        Chris
        Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to mention that the QBA850 probably implies that the belt is 850mm.
          Chris

Comment

I had the same problem on mine after the Cornwall trip. I ended up feeding it some oil down the vanes to the front bearing which shut it up. Of course it could just be that some got on the belt making it grip better, who knows!
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I'll try a squirt and see if that helps...

Comment

Working...
              X