• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT's and historic vehicles

This may not apply to Marlins now, but in the future? Here or there
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Re: MOT's and historic vehicles

Surely the preferred Option 3 does apply to correctly registered, tax exempt Marlins?
    ie. V5 states "Marlin Roadster" (or the like) and date of first registration greater than 40 years; both of which is the case for me.

I would very much be in favour of Option 3 but would still present the car to my friendly garage for an annual inspection or indeed voluntary MOT. Having 'tinkered' during the year it is reassuring to know the car remains 'safe'.
    Brian

Learning more about:
    June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
    1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
    And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

With you all the way Skittler, it's reassuring when some independent body gets all oily and greasy under your car, and then pops up and says, yeah that's alright mate, and then you can breathe out and relax for another year.
      What I don't understand about these so called professional bodies is why do they have to try and mend what isn't broken?
      How long has the MOT been around, is it just a case of I've got a badge with my name on it I must DO something.

Comment

As someone who worked for almost 15 years in one of the uk's leading classic car companies - I have seen cars with brand new MOT's who have had no lights wired up - no brakes fitted - infact we had a joke about a website 'Mot's are Us ' !!! If you do away with a proper MOT then I can see lots of 60's cars with rusty bodies and worn suspensions being allowed on the road where with an MOT they would not be allowed..

Comment

Part of the reason I am unsure if Marlins will be impacted is the 30/40 year old classification. How will that be applied to a Q plated car as normally that means an unknown date of manufacture.
          Equally, when many Roadsters were constructed, there was no such thing as an SVA, pretty much all that was needed was an MOT!
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

it would be interesting to find out how many cars are registered as Marlins - triumphs - morris !!

Comment

Working...
            X