Marlin Roadster For Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Roadster For Sale

I thought I would give fellow members a bit of advance notice that I shall be putting my Marlin Roadster (Batty) up for sale in the near future. It would be great if it went on to someone who already has a passion for all things Marlin, but if not, I will advertise it in all the normal places.

Batty is effectively a 2 owner car built in 1991 using a 1979 Marina 1300. It is still pretty true to how the original owner built it. The car will come with lots of paperwork as well as photos from the original build. It also comes with a hood and sidescreens, neither of which I’ve ever used.

During the 11 months that I’ve owned it, lots of work has been done at a total cost of over £2600. The work includes:

A professional re-wire including LED running lights, upgraded fuse box, electric cooling fan and fog and reversing lights.

Re-cored radiator fitted, new engine and gearbox mountings fitted, refurbished propshaft fitted, header tank fabricated and fitted and new thermostat housing fitted

Dashboard recovered in black vinyl.

Wheel alignment adjusted

New brake servo fitted, new disc pads fitted, new speedo cable fitted

It has a new MOT issued today with the only advisories being that both steering rack gaiters are deteriorating, something which I understand isn’t a major job. As far as I know there is no major work that needs to be done, but for someone who has the skills to “tinker”, there is still scope to improve things further and could make a nice Winter project.

I’ve posted a few photos to give you some idea of the condition Batty is in, but I can supply more photos and more information to anyone who might be interested.

I realise that I’m not going to get the £5500 plus that the car has cost me for just 11 months of ownership, but I’d like to think I could get pretty close to £4000.
    Attached Files

Re: Marlin Roadster For Sale

Just a quick update on this one. After a run of less than 20 miles on Sunday, the car encountered the next problem when the pipe to the clutch slave cylinder blew off and I had to be recovered. I have decided not to spend out any more on garage labour rates and the car is now on sale via Gumtree and Preloved in its current running, but not driveable state. Please let anyone who may be interested in a Roadster know that I'll consider any sensible offer.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...lin/1192813690

Comment

Hi Seasider,
      I guess that answers the question of what and how much !
      Sorry, the rest of you - private joke!!!

Comment

Yes, I'm afraid I got to the "final straw that broke the camel's back" stage, which is why the Roadster is up for sale. It costs £720 for the new servo, new brake pads, new speedo cable, a bit of greasing, some adjustments to the carb and an MOT. The very first time I took it out after that, the clutch pipe blew off, the car was rendered immobile and so ended my love affair with Marlins. There have been a couple of enquiries, so hopefully it will find a new home soon. If not, I'll try again in the Spring and if there's still no joy, I'll sell the registration plate and scrap the car.

Comment

Wow, you sound REALLY p*****d off.
          Pleeeeeze don,t scrap it tho ...... it looks pretty.
          Let it rest for a bit, and remember the feel of wind in your hair, the good time(s ?)...................

Comment

It's worth more as a running car than scrap. It's a shame that you've fallen out of love with your marlin. I have a bit of a love hate relationship with mine. Rebuilding the gearbox was my low point this year. I'm hoping next year will be more reliable
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Yes, I agree with what you say, but I've vowed not to spend (waste) any more money on it myself, so unless a buyer comes along, scrapping it in the Spring will be my only option as I don't have the space or the inclination to just store it. It will be a tragedy if that does happen though, as the car was much admired at the shows that I took it to during the Spring and Summer.

I sincerely hope that your luck with yours will improve from now on and it will prove itself to be reliable next year.

Paul

Comment

Working...
              X