Bmc j4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bmc j4

Does anyone know anything about the BMC J4 vans? My brother has just bought one (it's what he and I learned to drive in). Knowing this club someone will know someone who knows someone etc...
    First job is to look at the inner cills
    Please feel free to pm me or answer on here.
    Cheers
    C

V__9626.jpg

Re: Bmc j4

Sherpa was a parts bin special using J4 & JU components and whatever else the ARG empire had to offer.
    Some Sherpa panels originated in the J4 if Aronline is to be believed.
    Greasy bits were B series engine, gearbox & axle (think Oxford & Cambridge) with stump-pulling ratios in the 'box & a final drive in double figures (just kidding).

Evil thought...how about a 1.8tc version..
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Thanks Jez, a 1.8TC would be something - but just imagine it getting up to 30mph and bits not falling off. iirc the old beast i first drove was actually a lot of fun - the forward control position was peculiar and the large wheel made it very light once moving.
      If you know of anyone who could make some cills that would be useful. My brother is a trained mechanic so I have no fear the engine will be fine once he gets his hands on it - but getting panels is going to be tough. Guess most will have to be made up.

Comment

There is a link here for someone who makes repair panels for J types.
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

If I remember correctly didn't the hand brake operate on the front wheels ?
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Cheers Jez, info passed on Yes Ben I think it does it is s sort of walking stick thing. THese vans are almost all gone now yet how many were on the road being used by BT or was it the GPO in those days? Loads were converted by Dormobile and the work vans scrapped - this one used to belong to an undertaker we find

Comment

I drove a brand new J4 back in 1963/4 for W.H.Cullen, grocers, from their Westerham shop. It was diesel and a pleasure to drive after having an old side valve Ford. The only thing is to remember to hook the sliding doors back when driving, otherwise an almighty bang when they shut.The International Stores's driver, across the road, had a brand new forward control Ford, petrol, and he spun a set of tyres out in about 8,000 miles and received the sack !!!!! David.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                Cheers Jez, info passed on Yes Ben I think it does it is s sort of walking stick thing. THese vans are almost all gone now yet how many were on the road being used by BT or was it the GPO in those days? Loads were converted by Dormobile and the work vans scrapped - this one used to belong to an undertaker we find
                might have a problem with the body then!!
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

It wasn't the cough that carried him off......................

Comment

I remember the sliding doors, hook the drivers door open, no seat belts. How safe were we? Also when light loaded in the wet it had a nasty habit of going sideways when the back brakes locked up on light braking. Heavy braking was OK . We had a J2 with a column shift which was a porridge stirrer. The J4 floor shift was great. A fun van to drive.

Comment

I'll have to check but am reasonably sure I have a factory manual on the J4 that I'd let you have for cost of postage (or collection)

Comment

Cheers Compo you are a star What interesting tales of these old workhorses. Shortly after I got driving I was running around in an early Mk1 transit and then a sherpa - no wonder the transit took off as the preferred conyeyance of choice! My mate had a bedford CA, sliding doors, no seat belts column shift. I guess if you fell out you could run and overtake it - not a fast vehicle !

Comment

This is proving to be a little gem of a vehicle. I popped over to my brothers on sunday to help remove the rear brake drum (aren't they the same as Austin Cambridge?) then look at the engine which we thought had no compression. Turned out four valves were stuck open. We unstuck them with a mini pry bar gave it a dose of oil and had a sandwich. Cleaned the carb out and checked for a spark and gave it a whixx on the starter motor - we were expecting to rebuild the motor so werent too worried about it. Well bugger me with a fish fork it only went and ran - like a a sewing machine - no rattles, bangs clanks groans - nothing - absolutely perfect! Smooth as silk. Its a 1622cc B series petrol and it shouldnt have done that - I think he is just really lucky. What a motor it definitely wants to live.

If anyone knows anything about parts compatibility please let me know as I am starting to gather bits for him.

Comment

Nice one..!

Later marks of the MGA came with the 1622 engine...no problem with parts availability for that.
                            Just out of interest what is the engine number..?
                            B series axle was in Oxford/Cambridge, plus MGA, early MGB (banjo), Sherpa & Marina 10cwt.
                            B series gearbox ditto except for the Marina...I'm assuming it's running a 3 synchro 'box..?

Oddly I've just acquired an 18v B series fitted with 3-synchro backplate & flywheel (but a Marina block & big-valve MGB head)...so parts compatibility is a current personal interest..!

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                              Cheers Compo you are a star What interesting tales of these old workhorses. Shortly after I got driving I was running around in an early Mk1 transit and then a sherpa - no wonder the transit took off as the preferred conyeyance of choice! My mate had a bedford CA, sliding doors, no seat belts column shift. I guess if you fell out you could run and overtake it - not a fast vehicle !
                              Found manual
                              PM your address and I'll pop it in the post.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X