Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopping non club members posting !

1. #1 Stopping non club members posting ! 

I've had the following email -

"Dear Marlin forum user,

I am sending you this email because you have used the Marlin Owners Club website within the last 3 years. Our records do not currently show you as a club member.

In the past the club has allowed former members to continue to use the forums. We introduced a new membership system last year that automates the regulation of membership. As part of the new system previous members will not be able to make posts, however everybody is able to read the forum."

Looks like I'll be saying goodbye to everybody as no way will I rejoin the club just to be able to post on the forum !

2. #2 Re: Stopping non club members posting ! 
    club member Club Member Michael Turpin's Avatar
    I had always assumed that all posters were members and the majority of readers were members, as the cost is only minimal at £15/yr and benefits are well worth the cost and why would former members be interested anyway assuming they no longer have an interest in Marlins.

3. #3 Re: Stopping non club members posting ! 
    club member Club Member
    I’m sorry that you feel unable to join us. You are a frequent forum contributor. The web site is primarily paid for through membership subscription. We should not be compared with web sites that are funded through advertising.

Is there anything that would add sufficient value to allow you to justify re-joining?
    Paul

4. #4 Re: Stopping non club members posting ! 
    A) is there a way to check if we have a current membership via the web site or forums?
    B) are reminders sent out before we 'expire'?
    C) can we renew online?

Just my opinion on this but in my view the forums should be used to attract members and be a resource for anyone interested in Marlins, this is best achieved by allowing access to read and write to all. But I appreciate I'm probably in the minority wanting an inclusive setup as most clubs appear to do the 'exclusive' thing.

The end result is usually a lack of new members as it's impossible to test the water first, ask for help buying a car, etc etc, end result is they don't buy a Marlin, so they don't join the club.

I had this exact problem when I returned to the UK in 2010, I was looking for a classic of some sort but had the chicken and egg problem, I wasn't a member so I couldn't find out what was for sale or ask for assistance, with several car clubs. I ended up with a Marlin for a large part because the club forums were open for read and write, so having a car, I joined (well re-joined).

This is probably a big can of worms, so I apologise in advance for opening it!

David.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

5. #5 Re: Stopping non club members posting ! 
    club member Club Member
    The quickest way to see if you are a member is to look on the left of any posts. It gives the posters status. For example:
    David
    frequent forum contributor
    Club Member

The best way to check and revise your own details is through the “Main Website”.

You can access your page by going to "CLUB MEMBERSHIP". Clicking on the "here" in "If you are an existing member and wish to look at your membership details or renew subs please click here."
    http://www.marlinownersclub.com/members/member

Your active subscriptions are listed.

I recommend everybody to verify their information by clicking on "Edit your details".

As you may know not everybody has been added to the database, a problem that I currently wrestling with.

The main reason that non-members are to be excluded is because by automating the system the computer will look to see if your subscription is active and allow access based on that. There is no slightly active mode. I am trying to contact everyone affected by the change. It is difficult because often the only thing I have is an email address and that can be out of date. This is also a major problem in trying to reconcile the various databases. It is principally ex-members that are affected.

The website is one of the clubs biggest expenses. I have no way to know how many people read the website. But only a few members contribute. A similar number of non-members contribute. So far most people contacted recognise the clubs value and have signed up.

I am a bit saddened that people, not necessarily anyone in this thread, who seem to get quite a lot from the website do not want to contribute to our club.
    Paul

6. #6 Re: Stopping non club members posting ! 
    club member Club Member
    I have tried to access the Members only site and for some reason I am not allowed. Can you tell me why? I am a fully paid up member.
    Thanks
    Steve Lilley

7. #7 Re: Stopping non club members posting ! 
    club member Club Member
    Crikey !!! I am apparently not a (Club member)

8. #8 Re: Stopping non club members posting ! 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    I have long campaigned for an open forum, making information available to any interested party.

This sounds as though the club forum is going backwards and not looking to the future and the expectations of potential club members, however likely or unlikely that they will join.
    The fact is that though some people may not be club members, they are forum contributors, making the forum more active and interesting, bringing different ideas to the Marlin community and by extension, the club?

This is especially relevant to the Marina Roadster owners the majority Marlin marque, Triumph are well served by a worldwide community, Ford similarly so, and the later more modern BMW community is strong.

Take as an example the FastMarina forum. It is not funded directly by the Morris Marina Owners Club, nor by direct advertising, its funded primarily by donation. Yet they welcome anyone with an interest in Marinas, everyone has the same access rights.
    Many Marina Roadster owners can be found there, as it's a great source of knowledge, freely available.
    By limiting access to the MOC forum, are the club pushing contributors away towards where they can get similar but free advice.

The MOC's ambition should be to attract new members, not to discourage them. It is beyond time to review this closed minded policy.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

9. #9 Re: Stopping non club members posting ! 
    club member Club Member
    Can the powers that be tell me why I am not a club member, I have paid my subs, my membership number is 11/045. Do I have to pay more to access the membership details?. I am feeling pretty hacked off at the moment.

10. #10 Re: Stopping non club members posting ! 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenlilley View Post
    Can the powers that be tell me why I am not a club member, I have paid my subs, my membership number is 11/045. Do I have to pay more to access the membership details?. I am feeling pretty hacked off at the moment.
    Another one that slipped through the net. Apparently the Treasurer agreed to fund someone to go through the database in May 2016.
    I guess they either paid too much, or never actually tasked someome to do the job.

But it's interesting to note that not many people seem to use the Members only area. I wonder just how many do, but of course that will only show how many accessed it successfully, not how many people were denied.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.