Stopping non club members posting !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stopping non club members posting !

This website must cost something to host/update etc..

How does that work if no one pays?

Just a thought .

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post

Just a thought .

Adrian

maybe thinking outside the box?

for example at the locostbuilders forum?

without account, you can, at least, read the forum (and its subforums)
      if you create a (free of charge) standard account, once validated, you have full access to the complete forum and from time to time a window is popping up, kindly reminding you to donate a small amount (whatever you are willing to pay).

LocostBuilders is a FREE service, supported by sponsorship, a little advertising revenue, and YOUR DONATIONS!

I operate LocostBuilders in my spare time as nothing more than a labour of love. All donations, trader's subscriptions, and the little advertising revenue generated goes straight back into maintaining server hardware to ensure the site runs quickly and smoothly with a substantial amount of money coming from my own pocket - money that I would far rather spend on building my car!

If you would like to contribute towards the site's running costs you may do so using the Paypal link below. A single donation of £10 or more entitles you to an exclusive 'Contributor' message under your username to show all other users that you have made a donation. Also, if you are a new user, you can bypass the 7 day/10 posts requirement to post advertisments in the market place (providing you are not a trader of course!). Contributing to the site is entirely optional. When I started the site I made a promise to keep the site a free resource and will endeavour to keep this promise to the community for as long as is practically possible.

if you account is marked with "contributor" you have also access to the latest sales adverts, otherwise you need to wait several days until you can see the latest adverts.

IMO the best way of making people voluntary to pay.

this said, the locost community is much bigger as the marlinownersclub. means, there are good chances that even if only a few pay, those will cover the costs for hosting the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by seasider790 View Post
        Just a quick comment on this subject from a slightly different perspective - I've recently sold my Marlin and I have no intention of buying another. I was expecting to soon get a membership renewal notice, which I was intending to decline. What I hadn't remembered was that when paying with PayPal a year ago, I had agreed to automatic renewal, so the first notification I got was to say that the money had been paid and my membership is renewed for another year. It's not a big deal as it's only £15 and the magazine and forum do make for some interesting reading, but it's just something for anyone in a similar position to me to be aware of. I've now gone onto the PayPal website and cancelled the instruction to prevent payment again next year.
        Dear Seasider790,
        I'm sorry to see that you have been caught out by automatic renewal. Personally I try to avoid all automatic renewals although it is often impossible. I have modified the sign up form to include the following text.
        Paul

Payment Basis
        Payment by PayPal is on a rolling basis automatically renewed on the anniversary of the first payment.

For offline payment methods the first subscription is payable on enrolment and annually thereafter on the 1st January. If the first subscription is payed after the 1st October, the payment will cover the remainder of the current year and the following year. Late payments can incur a re-joining fee.

Comment

The Marlin Owners Club is a non-profit organisation run by volunteers. Handling membership is a fairly arduous task and I think we are very lucky to find good people to do the various tasks involved. By introducing some automation it is hoped that some of that work will be eliminated. We are currently at an interim stage which is causing a heck of a lot more work for us. The automated system allows members access to all facilities on the web site. When membership expires ex-members have the same access as non-members. This is done automatically. Because we are in an interim position we had the horrible situation at the beginning of the year where some members did not have access while ex-members did have access. I am working very hard at the moment to fully implement the automation to avoid this happening again. With members and ex-members it requires the reconciliation of thousands of records. It is taking quite a bit of time. It is not very satisfying work.

There are other ways to organise membership but all would require additional work by our volunteers.

I do the work voluntarily. I get a great deal of pleasure from interacting with other members. I am pleased to be able to contribute in this way. I still pay my membership fees. I am disappointed that others do not value the club as much as I do.
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post

Just a thought .

Adrian

"with a substantial amount of money coming from my own pocket - money that I would far rather spend on building my car! "

Surely this is what we are trying to avoid by members paying subs?

Adrian

Comment

This is essentially the model that FastMarina use. Remember there is a Marina Owners club, the forum is affiliated but not funded from club subscription.

It seems to work quite well for them.

It also gives users a better sense of ownership.

Both FastMarina and Locost, are probably larger than the MOC but in FastMarinas case, I believe there are more Marlin cars than Morris Marinas active on the road, so many more interested, curious, people active on the forum.

What neither FastMarina or Locost do is to send out speculative personal emails.

Originally posted by Sportster-Green View Post
              maybe thinking outside the box?

for example at the locostbuilders forum?

without account, you can, at least, read the forum (and its subforums)
              if you create a (free of charge) standard account, once validated, you have full access to the complete forum and from time to time a window is popping up, kindly reminding you to donate a small amount (whatever you are willing to pay).

LocostBuilders is a FREE service, supported by sponsorship, a little advertising revenue, and YOUR DONATIONS!

I operate LocostBuilders in my spare time as nothing more than a labour of love. All donations, trader's subscriptions, and the little advertising revenue generated goes straight back into maintaining server hardware to ensure the site runs quickly and smoothly with a substantial amount of money coming from my own pocket - money that I would far rather spend on building my car!

If you would like to contribute towards the site's running costs you may do so using the Paypal link below. A single donation of £10 or more entitles you to an exclusive 'Contributor' message under your username to show all other users that you have made a donation. Also, if you are a new user, you can bypass the 7 day/10 posts requirement to post advertisments in the market place (providing you are not a trader of course!). Contributing to the site is entirely optional. When I started the site I made a promise to keep the site a free resource and will endeavour to keep this promise to the community for as long as is practically possible.

if you account is marked with "contributor" you have also access to the latest sales adverts, otherwise you need to wait several days until you can see the latest adverts.

IMO the best way of making people voluntary to pay.

this said, the locost community is much bigger as the marlinownersclub. means, there are good chances that even if only a few pay, those will cover the costs for hosting the forum.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Ok.
                Question to administrator.
                How much does the web site actually cost to run ? I assume this figure will be available from club annual accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                  This is essentially the model that FastMarina use. Remember there is a Marina Owners club, the forum is affiliated but not funded from club subscription.

It seems to work quite well for them.

It also gives users a better sense of ownership.

Both FastMarina and Locost, are probably larger than the MOC but in FastMarinas case, I believe there are more Marlin cars than Morris Marinas active on the road, so many more interested, curious, people active on the forum.

What neither FastMarina or Locost do is to send out speculative personal emails.
                  Here was a whip round to keep the SKCC forum going at the beginning of the year
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
                    Ok.
                    How much does the web site actually cost to run ? I assume this figure will be available from club annual accounts.
                    Surely this information is for MOC members only and not for viewing on this website.

PS I support posting being restricted to members otherwise how is the web site to continue.
                    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Turpin View Post
                      Surely this information is for MOC members only and not for viewing on this website.

PS I support posting being restricted to members otherwise how is the web site to continue.
                      I was going to suggest that non members pay a small contribution to the forum however if paid up members have such an attitude as above then I don't think I'd be interested !

Comment

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
                        Ok.
                        I've sold hosting for many years, you can easily get web site hosting for club web pages and forums for £20-30 a month max and this clubs traffic on those pages is minuscule in the scheme of things.

In fact GoDaddy will do it for £6.50/month;

I'm of the view that the cost of running the site and forums (the hosting that is, not volunteers time looking after it) is not relevant to the who has access based on paying or not, unless of course it's a matter of principle.

David.
                        Last edited by David; 18-11-16, 10:21 PM.
                        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Turpin View Post

There is a members only area of this forum, and right at the bottom is a section for Committee Meeting Minutes. Most will not have noticed it is there.

Its not well maintained, the last entry is April this year, but no publication of the AGM 6 months ago and that is where the clubs financial records will have been circulated.

Any forum member who is also recognised as a club member can post there I believe, but they all seem to be Cameron's work.
                          MOC member since 05/97
                          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

"I was going to suggest that non members pay a small contribution to the forum however if paid up members have such an attitude as above then I don't think I'd be interested !"

At £15 per year you are paying a small contribution.
                            Regards
                            Dave

Comment

I joined the club but it provided nothing for me do didn't renew membership as it was dead money in my case. I don't do social events, runs out with others and the magazine was of little interest to me. £15 just to gain posting privileges on a forum therefore isn't worth it for me.
                              Other people might get their "money's worth" out of membership and that is great but there will also be others, such as myself, who don't yet would still like access to like minded owners via a forum.

Comment

OMG! It's £15. I pay more for a Chinese take away!
                                Stumbling around in the dark
                                Marina based SWB roadster
                                Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Working...
                                X