Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pinto engine alternative

1. #11 Re: Pinto engine alternative 
    club member Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar
    mines about a tonne! - it has a 2.0 litre lump!

2. #12 Re: Pinto engine alternative 
    With a cast iron 2.5ltr BMW straight 6 in the front of my Cabrio, the weight split was 48% front : 52% rear

The M54B30 3 litre has an all alloy block and head, so weighs slightly less.
    230 BHP, and voted the world's best engine for 2 years, and good for 250,000 miles if its looked after.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronfurnival View Post
    That's a good point! Maybe zetec is the way to go? the 1.8 was about 115bhp stock and the 2.0 was 125-135bhp.
    However, the Cologne V6 2.9 is about 140bhp

There are examples of both about so you should find someone on here who can tell you more.

Weight may be a deciding factor...

RoverV8 comes in at 160kg
    Cologne V6 138Kg
    Pinto 135 kgs
    Vauxhall XE 120 kgs
    Zetec 115 kgs
    Crossflow 110 kgs
    Rover K series 100 kgs
    Toyata 4-AGE 100 kgs
    Duratec 97 kgs
    Zetec SE ( all alloy found in the later focus & fiesta & only 1.6 & 1.25) 81 kgs

The locostbuilders forum has some excellent advice.

3. #13 Re: Pinto engine alternative 
    Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    Remember things like the gearbox, rear diff, suspension and brakes will need uprating if you are going for 240hp. The danger is that if your main interest is driving it, you may become disheartened with the amount of time and money required for such a project.
    The standard Sierra rear suspension and diff were capable of taking around 400HP in the Cosworth, so its not a big issue. With Cosworth sized disc brakes up front, and the standard disc brakes at the rear, with the dual servo kit a lot of us have now fitted, and a well chosen set of road brake pads, you can put together a Cabrio, weighing only 930kg, giving around 250BHP/tonne performance, and the ability to stop equally well.
    - how does that compare to your daily?
    Last edited by Mike; 28-11-2016 at 10:18 PM.

4. #14 Re: Pinto engine alternative 
    regular forum contributor
    Just had a quick look through your build thread Mike and some really good information there, thanks for highlighting it to me.

The BMW engine would be my ideal choice but also have to be realistic about my mechanic skills and free time, I am pretty good but I think to keep project realistic would want to marry it up with a gearbox and the rear axle in a car already, or to one that is an easy replacement for what's there in the first place.

My daily drive ia nothing special, its the new Mondeo but the twin turbo diesel so 210ps and 450nm of torque, it goes pretty well and is effortless.

I would imagine the old gearbox and diffe etc are made pretty heavy duty so 200+ bhp but in a light car should be alright.

5. #15 Re: Pinto engine alternative 
    Quote Originally Posted by tomallen View Post
    Just had a quick look through your build thread Mike and some really good information there, thanks for highlighting it to me.

The BMW engine would be my ideal choice but also have to be realistic about my mechanic skills and free time, I am pretty good but I think to keep project realistic would want to marry it up with a gearbox and the rear axle in a car already, or to one that is an easy replacement for what's there in the first place.

My daily drive ia nothing special, its the new Mondeo but the twin turbo diesel so 210ps and 450nm of torque, it goes pretty well and is effortless.

I would imagine the old gearbox and diffe etc are made pretty heavy duty so 200+ bhp but in a light car should be alright.
    If you use the matching BMW gearbox and clutch the engine change is just the same as for a Ford - except it's easier as the BMW bell housing is smaller than the Ford one. It's easy to have a propshaft made for a BMW gearbox and a Ford diff.

Go for it.

I will have a very good M50B25Tu with 5 speed gearbox available with propshaft if you want a drop in solution?

Where are you in the country? You are very welcome to have a go in my Cabrio if you want to get a feel of what it is like. I'm near Peterborough

ATB
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike; 29-11-2016 at 09:11 AM.

6. #16 Re: Pinto engine alternative 
    club member Club Member
    Reality check guys. He is going to look at a Berlinetta. Most likely Cortina axle etc so all this talk of BMW powered road rockets is far fetched. If indeed it is a Berlinetta.

7. #17 Re: Pinto engine alternative 
    Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    Reality check guys. He is going to look at a Berlinetta. Most likely Cortina axle etc so all this talk of BMW powered road rockets is far fetched. If indeed it is a Berlinetta.
    Hi Scott
    You are quite right - I was working on the mistaken idea it was for a Cabrio.

Having said that Toby Holland has installed the BMW M50B25TU in his Berlinetta

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1yiUCT3MIJE

So it can certainly be achieved physically, though I have no idea what sort of power the Cortina rear axle and suspension is capable of handling?

8. #18 Re: Pinto engine alternative 
    club member Club Member
    Hi Mike, I could see everyone was thinking it was a Cabrio so I thought I should point out the mistake. However it was great to see the enthusiasm for the project.

Getting back to the original post, what would be an easy swap for the Pinto in a Berlinetta?

9. #19 Re: Pinto engine alternative 
    regular forum contributor
    Thanks for the offer of the drive Mike.

So does the BMW engine and gearbox not fit in the berlinetta or is it the back axle that is the limiting factor?

From what I have read the cosworth 24v boa engine out of the Ford granada should fit the gearbox and with some simple tuning can be up around 220bhp.

10. #20 Re: Pinto engine alternative 
    Club Member
    Well Im having exactly the same thoughts. BUT, how does a motorcycle engine sound as an option?