Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passenger Window motor not working (again!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Passenger Window motor not working (again!)

This is shocking, you bright sparks are too wired up

Comment

Couldn't fail to connect with this ,especially as my resistance is so low

Comment

Groan!
        I'm not 100% sure you have fixed the problem
        See the diagram below
        aaaa.jpg

The motor is wires so that the + and - supplies cross over. The switch connects the +ve supply to the blue wire and the -ve supply to the green wire when it is Up, and the +ve supply to the green wire and the -ve supply to the blue wire when down.

So the earthing occurs in the through the switch and not from the motor as the supply gets swapped over, which means the earth wire you have between to door and chassis will have no effect. You may have a break in one of the wires where it is flexed as it goes through the door hinge, giving intermittant results.

Sorry about the quality of the diagram, but I'm not so good with paint.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_cussen View Post
          Groan!
          I'm not 100% sure you have fixed the problem
          See the diagram below
          [ATTACH]8075[/ATTACH]

The motor is wires so that the + and - supplies cross over. The switch connects the +ve supply to the blue wire and the -ve supply to the green wire when it is Up, and the +ve supply to the green wire and the -ve supply to the blue wire when down.

So the earthing occurs in the through the switch and not from the motor as the supply gets swapped over, which means the earth wire you have between to door and chassis will have no effect. You may have a break in one of the wires where it is flexed as it goes through the door hinge, giving intermittant results.

Sorry about the quality of the diagram, but I'm not so good with paint.
          It's a good diagram and helps clarify the faint image in the Haynes manual. I am not convinced that I have fixed the original problem either. I will look at the ends of the earth wires next time I have the dash out. Peter.

Comment

Hi Peter,
            It occurred to me that the earth strap was probably not the cure. Is it possible that one of the wires to the motor is broken internally? Probably where it flexes when the door is opened. You might have disturbed it when fitting the extra wire.
            Paul
            PS: The rest of you should retreat to your ohms.

Comment

my capacity to resist an inane comment has been transformed!
              Last edited by Tony Stott; 07-12-16, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Have you tried using the switch from the other window? If it works fine with no extra earth wires then it would point to the switch being faulty. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
                  Have you tried using the switch from the other window? If it works fine with no extra earth wires then it would point to the switch being faulty. Just a thought.
                  That's a good idea. I will bear it in mind if the window fails again. Meantime it's working ok so will drive on until it rears its head again, as I am sure it will. Peter.

Comment

Guess what! It’s happened again! All switch contacts connected ok. Voltmeter kicks when switch operated up or down but no movement of motor.

Have re read all previous posts thanks so will try the following:

1) Jury rig fused +12v and earth direct from battery to the motor terminals. Will try both up and down by reversing wires.
                    2) Locate and check the earth connection from the switch! Jury rig earth to switch first else dash will have to be undone (again)!
                    3) If all else fails,remove and strip the motor.

My money is on 1 working and 2 being the problem.
                    Peter.

Comment

Mine stopped working recently after a period of working intermitantly. I'm using the original Serria switch gear (two switches on one plate) and took the switch apart and cleaned the gunged up contacts. Its not too difficult to prise the switch apart if you have the capacity to do it.
                      Just a thought, if you are using the Serria switch gear then it uses a common earth wire so neither window will work if that is faulty..
                      Last edited by chris_cussen; 11-10-18, 07:38 AM. Reason: Last minute thought

Comment

I have a similar problem on my berlingo, it’s the drivers window, so can get quite awkward when trying to pay at barriers, tolls etc.
                        However it is easily remedied by turning the ignition off and on again, this has something to do with the window control module, which I’m guessing is some sort of relay type device. So if you have a relay try replacing as a process of elimination.

Comment

What's a window?!

Comment

Originally posted by stevepritch View Post
                            What's a window?!
                            Priceless! ??????

Comment

Originally posted by The_Moog View Post
                              I have a similar problem on my berlingo, it’s the drivers window, so can get quite awkward when trying to pay at barriers, tolls etc.
                              However it is easily remedied by turning the ignition off and on again, this has something to do with the window control module, which I’m guessing is some sort of relay type device. So if you have a relay try replacing as a process of elimination.
                              Haha .. Sounds like an IT fix ! with any "Windows Operating System Fault" try turning off & on again ! It always works ....
                              Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
                              Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Ran out of round tuits today so tomorrow hopefully I will have something to report.

Comment

Working...
                                X