No announcement yet.

Marina Compatible Front Discs and Diff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Compatible Front Discs and Diff.

Hi,
    This is principally a question for Steve Green who seems to have most BL information on hand.

1. What other front discs from the BL range are interchangeable with Marina hubs and caliphers.

2. I'm having a clear out and have an old MGB banjo rear axle, externally the diff appears very similar to the Marina's. I'm not bothered about final drive ratios just function.

I apologise if these have been covered in the past but it would be useful to know what you think.

brian.

Re: Marina Compatible Front Discs and Diff.

I' sure Steve will be along shortly...in the meantime...

1) I don't believe that Marina discs are used by/compatible with any other vehicle in the BL (or any other marque) range.

2) IIRC the MGB banjo diff is compatible with the Marina 10cwt axle only...both being variations on what was known as the B Series axle. The 7cwt & car axle were Triumph-derived items.

See this thread for some more info on Steve's Clio modification.
    Last edited by lil_red_roadster; 23-01-17, 06:54 PM. Reason: Added link
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Well that's a pretty good start, thanks. That's about what I suspected on the disc's but I just hoped that there was some easier source of these. Can't believe how chaotic BL's parts inventory became and how much it must have cost them.

That's good news on the diff as that will be usable.

Comment

You may be able to source Marina discs via a Morris Minor supplier as some used them as an update mod.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi

If you just need discs, they are not that rare eBay 311692673357.

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
          You may be able to source Marina discs via a Morris Minor supplier as some used them as an update mod.
          Last edited by listerjp2; 24-01-17, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Just picked this up as I was flying yesterday.
            As already stated above, the Marina Disks were unique, not fitted to any other car. The Calipers are however pretty common on other cars, not just from the BL family.
            The MGB axle has some similarities but fitting one to a Marina Roadster is an expensive business as the PCD it uses does not match the standard Marina meaning that new wheel rims need to be sourced if you don't want a mismatch between front and rear fitment.

My conversion of the front brakes to Clio vented was more of an engineering exercise than an attempt to find alternative discs. I was looking to get to vented discs without going the Ford/Princess route.
            It has been picked up by quite a few Roadster and Marina Owners. Maybe I should have marketed it better.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

A sub note to this.
              As there are several different Marina gear ratios available I don't see the point in changing the rear axle, but if you find a 3.45 Sprint axle then why not, it's the same PCD but check the stud size fits your wheels, they come in two sizes.
              The sprint axle will handle significantly more power but a Marina will take the output from a stock 1.8 Zetec happily if it's in reasonable condition.
              MGB's come with a variety of ratios, and like Marinas the internals can be changed around so check first.
              TBH, stick with a Marina axle, swap the complete diff centre if you want to change ratios or it is noisy, fit a Dolomite Sprint axle for more than a 1.8 power. But if you fancy an engineering challenge, find an axle with a 3.63 ratio or higher, with a width that keeps the tyres inboard of the rear wings, unless you want to narrow the axle which seems like a lot of work to me.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Thanks everybody for some really useful information. My discs still have a bit of life in them but I thought it prudent to start to source some ahead of time, the Morris minor upgrades sound attractive.

With the rear axle I was intending to just change the diff which would appear to be straightforward. The MGB is a narrower track so the casting can't be used and also different PCDs on the hubs.

Another source of parts could be TR7s but I would like to get a closer look around a scrap one.

Comment

Originally posted by velovol View Post
                  Thanks everybody for some really useful information. My discs still have a bit of life in them but I thought it prudent to start to source some ahead of time, the Morris minor upgrades sound attractive.

With the rear axle I was intending to just change the diff which would appear to be straightforward. The MGB is a narrower track so the casting can't be used and also different PCDs on the hubs.

Another source of parts could be TR7s but I would like to get a closer look around a scrap one.
                  TR7 4-speed axle is same diff as the Marina (exc 10cwt van) but has a wider track. The TR7 5-speed axle is a cut-down SD1 Salisbury-type item.

MGB banjo diff is only compatible with the Marina 10cwt axle, not the car version...if your existing PCD is different to the MGB axle then you almost certainly have a standard car axle.

Marina disks are routinely available on eBay and through suppliers like Earlpart or Car Parts Direct/Parts for Older Cars.
                  Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                  Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I am slightly confused over your axles.
                    If you have a Banjo 10cwt Marina axle, the ratio it has is far better for Trials than modern road speeds. Still quite sought after in the Trials community.
                    It you can acquire a Marina saloon axle, that will give you a greater choice of diff ratios from Marinas, Itals, Dolomites and TR7s.

I would be interested to see photos of both, and details of their current gear ratios.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I'll start keeping an eye on eBay, I suppose Marina discs must come up from time to time.

I haven't measured the diff ratio ( difference in turns ) but assumed it is a car one as the gearing doesn't seem noticeably low. I think the van ratios would be fairly apparent.

The car is only for road use and has an MGB engine, MGB overdrive box and 15 inch wheels so the MGB diff should be spot on, although the TR7 should be near enough.

My only reason for wanting to change the diff is the original one is noisy and having re-built one in the past I'm not in a hurry to do it again.

Comment

Try the ap brakes website found some on there says they are in stock just over £30 a pair.I think you are right that this will become more of an issue in the future , supplies will inevitably run down or become more expensive and with no asbestos in the pads the discs wear our much faster.

Comment

That's great, I'll look up the AP website and at £ 30 a pair that would be very acceptable for new discs.

Comment

Bingo ! I just bought a pair of Brembo discs for £ 31.39 inc VAT and free delivery. Thank you Cornish Wrestler.

Comment

At least it's sorted.
                              I don't think that there is a particular shortage of manufacturers of Marina discs, but inevitably they will become rare as the demand drops.
                              My experimentation with Clio discs offers one way out, but that involves swapping Calipers and a small mod to the mounting bracket.
                              Its not helped with the transition between imperial and metric changeover.
                              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                              X