No announcement yet.

Marina Compatible Front Discs and Diff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina Compatible Front Discs and Diff.

Whoops. They just e-mailed today that these are out of stock and are being discontinued. So sorry it's back to the drawing board on Marina discs.

Comment

That happened to Compo Simmonite last October think they should amend their listing by now.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi

If you just need discs, they are not that rare eBay 311692673357

They may not be cheap but they supplied mine,,

Comment

Thanks, maybe I'll just have to grin and bear it but at least they should be the real thing. I was having a little browse and it looks as if MGF or TF rear discs might be the same and new are available quite reasonably. Might look for a cheap used one to check.

Comment

Originally posted by velovol View Post
            Thanks, maybe I'll just have to grin and bear it but at least they should be the real thing. I was having a little browse and it looks as if MGF or TF rear discs might be the same and new are available quite reasonably. Might look for a cheap used one to check.
            No they are not. They have the same PCD but that's it. The hubs are different.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

What about montego discs 3.75 pcd , 240 mm diameter centre bore 0.7 mm less than marina and only 2.7mm taller overall. also avaliable in vented form .
              Steves no doubt tried this

Comment

Thanks Steve for the information on the MGF discs. The Montego ones look close enough to use but what about the thickness as the Marina are only 10mm.

Comment

If you try to fit Montego discs to the Marina hub you will find that your standard calipers almost certainly have insufficient clearance to accommodate the increased width of the disc and pads; even if that were that not the case the increased diameter may still foul the caliper itself.

There are NO other discs directly compatible with the standard Marina hub & suspension and available as a "bolt-on" item.

If you use anything other than a standard Marina disc on the stock hub/suspension you will have to modify something (probably more than one something) in order to fit them and have them function safely.
                  Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                  Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Thats me told then. Any research will continue in private in future.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
                      If you try to fit Montego discs to the Marina hub you will find that your standard calipers almost certainly have insufficient clearance to accommodate the increased width of the disc and pads; even if that were that not the case the increased diameter may still foul the caliper itself.

There are NO other discs directly compatible with the standard Marina hub & suspension and available as a "bolt-on" item.

If you use anything other than a standard Marina disc on the stock hub/suspension you will have to modify something (probably more than one something) in order to fit them and have them function safely.
                      Spot on. I did an awful lot of investigation before deciding on my Clio conversion. It's nice to see someone confirm that my findings were correct, but it's an awful lot of unnecessary work unless you plan to follow the Clio route with a different design setup.

Jez adapted my plan to fit a larger slave piston, I took the easier route.

I forget how many hours I spent scouring my local breakers yard, notebook, Calipers and tape measure in hand, and then confirming my sizes working through the Brembo catalogue to confirm my measurements.
                      MOC member since 05/97
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Well I guess that's about as far we can go down that road and thanks Steve for all the previous work you put in to this.

I had had the naughty thought that 12mmspacers could be cut from sheet steel but I'm sure that would be frowned on by various authorities and the caliphers may foul anyway.

Comment

And now out of far left field (Vancouver), does the MGB banjo diff take the same spring hanger stuff as the Marina? I need some more of the plates from the U bolt attachment and thought I'd get new plastic separators as well since the rubber ones are perished. I have the shock mounts, OK, and the lowering kit from Marlin. Can order MGB parts locally, Marinas are unheard of now. Am also looking at the delerin spring ends and hanger bushings, if they'll fit. Also, since I broke up the Marina more than 30 years ago, I don't really recall if the longer part of the spring goes aft or forward, looks like longer side is aft.

Comment

Standard Marina axle is 3.63 ratio an MGB axle can be made to fit, but the ratio could be critical. Whats the problem with your existing diff, many small Triumphs use the same diff centre.
                            Fitting an MGB axle might require modification to the transmission tunnel as the nose of the diff housing is much larger'
                            Superflex do most bushes for a Marina Suspension, search this forum for 'marina superflex'.
                            There are a few US members of the Morris Marina Owners Club, Skip for one, have a look at the fastmarinamagazine forum to track him down.
                            Hanger bushes are Superflex, but were never Delrin, from memory you are right about the orientation.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I've just been re-reading this thread and it brought up the still outstanding problem of a noisy diff that I have. The MGB diff is still in the old banjo casting so I haven't physically offered it up to the Marina but I fear it may

be for the 10 cwt van as my rear brakes are 1 1/2 inch wide drums and shoes as opposed to the 2 inch wide 10cwt van which also has thicker wheel studs, I think 7/16 UNF.

You say that the Marina diff unit is of Triumph origin so I would suppose that is Herald/Vitesse, can you confirm that ?

Comment

For front discs have you tried 'Charlie Ware's Morris Minor Centre' . I believe it's a common upgrade to use marina discs/calipers . Just a thought!

Comment

Working...
                                X