Sportster "New Hood"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster "New Hood"

Whilst looking at the Marin news letter I noticed the new hood for the sportster, what do sportster owners think?

Held on with springs!

roof 6 (Copy).jpg
    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Re: Sportster "New Hood"

I may be in the minority here but I do actually quite like the look of that , held on with springs wouldn't put me off as I bet its quick to put up as against a load of poppers. Plus it definitely gives it a vintage look.
    Last edited by wiggiesworld; 05-10-17, 08:21 AM.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Looks a bit snug (although not as snug as my Triumph Roadster .. but it also looks well designed and well made. Are there any other pics from different angles ?
      Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
      Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

As a new member who has a hoodless car I would like to know where i can buy a hood and side screens I have the hoops/hood frame just need the bits to keep out the weather any help appreciated

Comment

You have to have a chat with Terry Matthews @ http://www.marlinsportscars.co.uk ?
          Last edited by wiggiesworld; 25-10-17, 01:05 PM.
          2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

Comment

Good afternoon everyone, have to say I like the look of that hood. Can I ask, 'does anyone have any dimensions for the fitting of the roof frame'? I have purchased a Sportster with a frame beautifully wrapped in the storage compartment, unfortunately I cannot see any dimensional drawing or instruction for fitting it. All assistance gratefully received.

Comment

Originally posted by stevepritch View Post
              Good afternoon everyone, have to say I like the look of that hood. Can I ask, 'does anyone have any dimensions for the fitting of the roof frame'? I have purchased a Sportster with a frame beautifully wrapped in the storage compartment, unfortunately I cannot see any dimensional drawing or instruction for fitting it. All assistance gratefully received.
              Hi Steve,
              the picture above is Malin's latest designed hood.
              Yours is more likely to be like the one I fitted to my Sportster back in 2008. (If you're fitting a hood you'll also need to fit demister vents if they are not already there.)
              Take a look at my pictures here.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/peters...57608146364482
              There is a short description under each picture.
              For a hood cover you'll need to contact Terry Mathews at Marlin Sportscars.
              ....peter
              P.S. Just found this photo as well.....
              Hood frame fitting instructions. by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

the BMW e30 is the same dimensions as the Ford.
              Last edited by Peterx; 26-10-17, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Peter thank you so much, thats some great advice and assistance. Steve

Comment

Peter thank you so much, thats some great advice and assistance. Steve
                  You're welcome

Comment

Just so you all know I asked Marlin if they could supply a new hood for my sportster. Its not the latest model, it has a more upright screen than the one shown above.

Unfortunately it appears that the pattern maker got rid of the patterns and I was told 'So sorry, but if you go to a local supplier they will help sort you'.
                    At the time I did not think much about it, but the more I do, the more I think there was no interest at all on Marlins part, all seemed too difficult.

Just a little disappointed in Marlin on this occasion. Also, despite me telling them last month they have still got my Sportster on their 'for sale page', it's still there and I can assure you all it's not for sale!
                    Last edited by stevepritch; 19-01-18, 03:37 PM.

Comment

It maybe they can’t afford to do the work. As a small business owner I have to say no sometimes if the return is going to be minimal and focus on the jobs that return the salary to pay the bills. Either that or I have to quote so high to make it worthwhile that the prospective client goes elsewhere anyway.
                      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Re Springs. After repairing the GRP reinforcing at the screen top of my Roadster the top wouldn't stay in place,like it did before. I put two tapped holes in the frame and two bolts though the front of the hood. It works well but doesn't look so good, I think the springs look 'period' I like it

Comment

Just so you all now I asked Marlin if they could supply a new hood for my sportster. Its not the latest model, it has a more upright screen than the one shown above.

Unfortunately it appears that the pattern maker got rid of the patterns and I was told 'So sorry, but if you go to a local supplier they will help sort you'.
                          At the time I did not think much about it, but the more I do, the more I think there was no interest at all on Marlins part, all seemed too difficult.

Just a little disappointed in Marlin on this occasion. Also, despite me telling them last month they have still got my Sportster on their 'for sale page', it's still there and I can assure you all it's not for sale!
                          Interesting, that made me go and have a look see. Nice looking example.

I see mine is still in the 'previously sold by us' section. The Ford NightFire Red Cabrio. I didn't buy it from them but from Danny Nelson who bought from the guy who did (if you get my drift..... . So those pictures are well over 5 years old.

As you are in Tamworth I hopefully will see the sportster in real life at Stoneleigh next year?

Comment

Steve
                            Have you considered asking Aldridge Trimming if they can help.

Comment

David

As I understand it, Marlin don't actually make the hoods but sub it out and I imagine add a %age, I would be looking to run as much business as possible through the book, and adding a %age for passing on an order is a no brainer in my humble opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X