Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Sportster "New Hood"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Sportster "New Hood" 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar
    It maybe they canít afford to do the work. As a small business owner I have to say no sometimes if the return is going to be minimal and focus on the jobs that return the salary to pay the bills. Either that or I have to quote so high to make it worthwhile that the prospective client goes elsewhere anyway.
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

2. #12 Re: Sportster "New Hood" 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Re Springs. After repairing the GRP reinforcing at the screen top of my Roadster the top wouldn't stay in place,like it did before. I put two tapped holes in the frame and two bolts though the front of the hood. It works well but doesn't look so good, I think the springs look 'period' I like it

3. #13 Re: Sportster "New Hood" 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevepritch View Post
    Just so you all now I asked Marlin if they could supply a new hood for my sportster. Its not the latest model, it has a more upright screen than the one shown above.

Unfortunately it appears that the pattern maker got rid of the patterns and I was told 'So sorry, but if you go to a local supplier they will help sort you'.
    At the time I did not think much about it, but the more I do, the more I think there was no interest at all on Marlins part, all seemed too difficult.

Just a little disappointed in Marlin on this occasion. Also, despite me telling them last month they have still got my Sportster on their 'for sale page', it's still there and I can assure you all it's not for sale!
    Interesting, that made me go and have a look see. Nice looking example.

I see mine is still in the 'previously sold by us' section. The Ford NightFire Red Cabrio. I didn't buy it from them but from Danny Nelson who bought from the guy who did (if you get my drift..... . So those pictures are well over 5 years old.

As you are in Tamworth I hopefully will see the sportster in real life at Stoneleigh next year?
    2000 Marlin Cabrio; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

4. #14 Re: Sportster "New Hood" 
    Moderator Club Member
    Steve
    Have you considered asking Aldridge Trimming if they can help.

5. #15 Re: Sportster "New Hood" 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevepritch's Avatar
    David

As I understand it, Marlin don't actually make the hoods but sub it out and I imagine add a %age, I would be looking to run as much business as possible through the book, and adding a %age for passing on an order is a no brainer in my humble opinion.

6. #16 Re: Sportster "New Hood" 
    Quote Originally Posted by dogoncrazy View Post
    Steve
    Have you considered asking Aldridge Trimming if they can help.
    Thanks I will take a look.

7. #17 Re: Sportster "New Hood" 
    Thanks Wigglesworld, and yes Biggles will be looking to visit Stoneleigh so hope fully we will meet real life )

8. #18 Re: Sportster "New Hood" 
    frequent forum contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by stevepritch View Post
    David

As I understand it, Marlin don't actually make the hoods but sub it out and I imagine add a %age, I would be looking to run as much business as possible through the book, and adding a %age for passing on an order is a no brainer in my humble opinion.
    Steve,
    your absolutely right. When I bought my hood in 2008, Marlin sub-contracted to a company called Lang and Potter. I dealt with a lady called Donna Jacketts.
    It's a bit of a long shot but it may be worth contacting them direct to see if they have the pattern or any old stock?
    Full details are:
    Donna Jacketts

Lang & Potter Marine LTD

Galileo Close

Newnham Industrial Estate

Plympton

Plymouth

PL7 4JW

9. #19 Re: Sportster "New Hood" 
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterx View Post
    Steve,
    your absolutely right. When I bought my hood in 2008, Marlin sub-contracted to a company called Lang and Potter. I dealt with a lady called Donna Jacketts.
    It's a bit of a long shot but it may be worth contacting them direct to see if they have the pattern or any old stock?
    Full details are:
    Donna Jacketts

Lang & Potter Marine LTD

Galileo Close

Newnham Industrial Estate

Plympton

Plymouth

PL7 4JW
    I contacted Lang and Potter. They stopped making for Marlin about 7 years ago according to their man. They are not sure what happened to the patterns, possibly returned to Marlin, possibly destroyed.
    Given Marlin say they don't have them, I guess they are gone.

10. #20 Re: Sportster "New Hood" 
    Moderator Club Member
    With regard to Cabrio hoods, and Marlin's statement that they would reintroduce the Cabrio/Hunter if there was sufficient interest . Does this mean that they have the patterns for the hoods or start all over again? Presumably they also have or have access to the body moulds etc. Who knows!!!!!