Rear wings and the IVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wings and the IVA

I believe that the rear wings originally supplied with my Sportster kit will not pass the IVA when fitted, and that either a new style wing will have to be purchased or the original wings modified. Is there anyone who has achieved this mod? If so could you possibly share you experience?.
    Regards
    Dic Price
    BMW e30 based Sportster nearing completion but driving me insane:

Re: Rear wings and the IVA

Building Kitcars either induce or are the result of insanity. From the shallows of my wisdom the tail lights need to be vertical - one way of dealing with this is to pack it out at the top. The 'Car Builder' catalogue shows how.

Comment

Why not fit some Morgan rear lamp pedestals and lamps, the plastic pedestals (£7.00ish each) from Brands Hatch Morgan, and the Land Rover rear light type from anywhere that stocks this E marked type lamp. This Morgan type set up has approval almost globally , so what have you got to lose.
      Phil

Comment

The angle of the rear lamps is not the issue I have already fitted angled pedestals and land rover lights. The issue is the coverage of the rear wings, apparently they do not comply with the latest IVA spec in the way that the rear of the wings do not cover sufficient of the wheel and have to be lengthened. Marlin are already suppling this new type of wing on the kits that are being sold now but I was enquiring as to whether anyone had altered the old wings to comply.
        Regards
        Dic

Comment

Jason (The great old one) who doesn't seem to be very active here details how he got through IVA with the old style rear wings. He fitted some extensions You can view his IVA section of his build here http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/galleries/iva/

Comment

Originally posted by dic price View Post
            The issue is the coverage of the rear wings, apparently they do not comply with the latest IVA spec in the way that the rear of the wings do not cover sufficient of the wheel and have to be lengthened. Marlin are already supplying this new type of wing on the kits that are being sold now but I was enquireing as to whether anyone had altered the old wings to comply.
            Regards
            Dic
            Dic

The Cabrio has a very similar rear wing and has the same IVA problem.
            All of the Sportster/Cabrio builders who have put our cars through IVA have made some kind of stiff lower mudflap ( a soft flexible one may fail).

In my case I bent some thin aluminium and "glued" it to the underside of the wing using some silicon sealer - just strong enough not to fall off during the IVA test!
            Don't forget the radius rule again - you don't want to cut someone's shins as you run over them whilst reversing!

Ian Morris did the same on his Sportster: although he used nut and bolts to secure his.

The plates are held on with a pair of button head M6 screws. Other builders have come up with more discrete methods of mounting so there are no screws but it doesn't bother me

Nigel Beats also did much the same:

9172789223_0f3508deea.jpg

Remarkably, my extensions fell off shortly after the IVA! - leaving the nice lines originally designed by Marlin, rather than the less pretty lines of new design.

Last edited by Mike; 06-03-17, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Thets a good bit of hands on (been there done it advice) Well done Mike.

Comment

For those of us who fondly remember pre IV/SVA days. Police check Mot and away. Read Fresh Ayre in March Kitcar mag. Why do we think that we will be free of bureaucracy after brexit? Our own bureaucrats are more than capable of stifling us as European ones.
                Why do we need all the stupid SVA rules? We don't but you cannot reduce bureaucracy. It is self perpetuating. Ayres views on HS2 are scary, suicide truck on the track and a train that takes 5 miles to stop. Read it and get angry, one way or the other.

Comment

I have to disagree with you slightly Dave. My Spartan Treka had edges that would have made Boudicca’s chariot seem tame, so generally SVA/IVA is a god idea to ensure that vehicles are relatively safe. As for Brexit, well it doesn’t matter much if the bureaucrats are here or in Brussels we the proletariat won’t have any influence.

Comment

Chris, My point exactly about brexit In Fresh Ayre he makes the point that in Canada groups like car clubs have more influence on their representatives than we do. Re your Treka surely you wouldn't need SVA to make it safe and an MOT would probably have failed it. I do tend to expect common sense , which is in very short supply these days.

Comment

Thank you all gentlemen for your excellent advice, aim already in the process of glueing carbonfibre material onto 6mm rubber, and when ready will be mounted on the underside of the wing with probably body mastic for ease of 'falling off' radius rule will apply. Thanks again
                      Dic Price

Comment

Just for general info I have just purchased Morgan angled torpedo type bases for the rear wings, from a place in Brum, Morgan agent, was going for the stainless but took so long, had the plastic, came with the rubber seal pads, think it will certainly help with visibility.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by stevepritch; 02-03-18, 11:57 AM.

Comment

And I can proudly announce the delivery of twinsIMG_20180306_142049.jpgIMG_20180306_142049.jpg

Comment

Dic Price.....Can you show the results of your insanity?

Originally posted by dic price View Post
                            I believe that the rear wings originally supplied with my Sportster kit will not pass the IVA when fitted, and that either a new style wing will have to be purchased or the original wings modified. Is there anyone who has achieved this mod? If so could you possibly share you experience?.
                            Regards
                            Dic Price
                            BMW e30 based Sportster nearing completion but driving me insane:

Comment

Looking better nowRear Lights mounts.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X