Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Hi Adrian, I very carefully drilled 2 holes for each then used a coping saw blade, finished off with a file.

Comment

Top coat on the side panels, nose and windscreen trim. Just need to leave a few days then flatten off and polish.

53F777DC-DBCF-4DE9-991C-CAC7C2896768.jpeg

Had my orders to apply my painting skills to the lounge so that is it for a week or so but may sneak out to do the door pillars and the single skin below the doors.

Comment

Looks good Martin. Did you only put a ball joint on the front end of the tie rod? Can't remember when I was looking at it.

Comment

Hi Hugh, a rose joint as below.
          You will have to pop around sometime.

94B6C784-9738-405E-AE82-738C6DD7EFD1.jpeg

Before I fit all the bodywork I need to tighten every nut and bolt on the front now it has the engine and gearbox in.
          Cheers, Martin.

Comment

WOW, Brill

Originally posted by meverett View Post
            Top coat on the side panels, nose and windscreen trim. Just need to leave a few days then flatten off and polish.

[ATTACH]10289[/ATTACH]

Had my orders to apply my painting skills to the lounge so that is it for a week or so but may sneak out to do the door pillars and the single skin below the doors.

Comment

Hiya

Where did you get you rose jointed tie bar or did you make it?

Adrian

Hi Hugh, a rose joint as below.
              You will have to pop around sometime.

[ATTACH]10291[/ATTACH]

Before I fit all the bodywork I need to tighten every nut and bolt on the front now it has the engine and gearbox in.
              Cheers, Martin.
              Last edited by listerjp2; 27-08-18, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Hi Adrian, I have pm’d you. If you want some pics I will send by WhatsApp.
                Cheers, Martin.

Comment

I did a similar mod to my Roadster several years ago. Can I suggest you put a thick repair washer or similar plate under the bolt that attaches the 'U' section bracket to the angled mount on the chassis. Although it never happened to me my concern is that if you whacked the front wheel on the kerb, say, you might pull and distort the bracket. The other argument of course is that, by bending, the bracket would absorb the shock and reduce the stress on the tie bar itself. Just a thought!

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
                    I did a similar mod to my Roadster several years ago. Can I suggest you put a thick repair washer or similar plate under the bolt that attaches the 'U' section bracket to the angled mount on the chassis. Although it never happened to me my concern is that if you whacked the front wheel on the kerb, say, you might pull and distort the bracket. The other argument of course is that, by bending, the bracket would absorb the shock and reduce the stress on the tie bar itself. Just a thought!
                    I have to agree the U bracket looks rather too much like a weak point to me. Presumably you fabricated from what looks to be less than 2mm rolled steel sheet, I would have preferred a short length of thick walled box section, at absolute least 3mm or the thickness of the original washer assembly, or original rod flange thickness, with one face of the box sawn off to produce your U shape

Equally your cross bolt through the rod end eye, should be HT steel, not standard?

The proof of the pudding will be in driving, it’s not just the kerbs that will be the problem, but the potholes and drains especially on the near side.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I see your point that it could be a weak point. They were already fabricated and on the car just been cleaned up.
                      Nothing is tightened up on the front end so will revisit these.
                      Cheers,

Comment

Thank you

Hi Adrian, I have pm’d you. If you want some pics I will send by WhatsApp.
                        Cheers, Martin.

Comment

A couple of hours this evening on the bonnet.

E8333F6D-F3AF-48BC-AD2E-175EC6FE1880.jpeg

EE4B0CFD-4A57-4B54-AFF7-43EF54F58801.jpeg

I keep telling myself this is progress, not looking forward to stripping the other side then out with DA.

Stripped the doors yesterday.

72AACE69-CF74-4283-9F78-61FDB5D69929.jpeg

Comment

Have to say I have found the stripping of bonnets very time consuming and tedious....you'll get there soon
                            Keep up the good work Rgds DC

Comment

Bonnet stripped. Wasn’t looking forward to the other side but as it was a nice day thought I’d spend an hour on it. Turned out to about 3 hours.

9FBBAA19-4873-4172-8032-E2C5D3D845FF.jpeg

624DE6AF-9B6F-4122-AFB3-F9E481BD1BC7.jpeg

Hopefully be nice next weekend so I can get it primed and painted along with the doors.

Comment

That’s the front end painted and just placed together. Not perfect but not bad for a home spray job.

23057F70-6419-4C14-912F-D9982CA56620.jpeg

3D86FAA7-3FC2-4BC2-997D-E15EF49BA14D.jpeg

Rear tub to start then decide whether to go with cycle wings or stick with the running boards.

Comment

Working...
                                X