X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Originally posted by David View Post
    Looking great, dashboard is excellent.
    Thanks, my O level woodwork does come in handy sometimes. :-)

Comment

Wow puts my one to shame. What a lovely finish. I am in awe.

Adrian

Originally posted by meverett View Post
      Rear tub finished and body panels in place.
      Panels are not fixed yet as I have brakes, fuel and cooling to plumb in yet.
      Pushed out of the garage for a bit of fresh air.

[ATTACH]10452[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10453[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10454[/ATTACH]

Pleased with my spraying on all the panels except the bonnet, it has some fine scratches that won’t polish out, it may have to go back into the spray tent the next nice weekend.
      I think I am decided on the original running boards rather than the cycle wings mainly because I have them and the brackets in the garage, just need a bit of repair and rubbing back to gel coat.

Comment

Superb job Martin
        Rgds DC

Comment

Thanks Adrian and DC.
          Still a fair amount of work to do until she is on the road but it’s getting there.
          Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Looks good Martin, must get myself over soon for a chat. Hugh.

Comment

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
              Looks good Martin, must get myself over soon for a chat. Hugh.
              Thanks Hugh and yes either I will have to pop over or you are welcome to pop over to me.
              Cheers,

Comment

Nice job, what's that colour please?

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                  Nice job, what's that colour please?
                  It’s Tornado red. LY3D colours code.
                  Cheers,

Comment

Very smart, envious! Personally I prefer running boards.

Comment

Placed the running boards back on and think they will need a bit of fettling to fit properly.
                      On one side the fibreglass has bulged a bit out of shape which when fitted will force the edge slightly higher making the door scrape when 3/4 open. Still need to measure up and compare with the build manual.
                      Anyone know the measurement from the rear bottom corner of the door to the top of the running board? This will give me a starting point.

Comment

The build manual says 185mm from the top of the running board to the centre of the leaf spring mount.
                        This will make them even higher and the door will barely open.
                        I think 160mm is about right to get the door to open 90degrees.
                        Last edited by meverett; 16-10-18, 07:50 PM.

Comment

This is my modified measurements Martin
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Hugh, I will check again but think 180mm to the centre of the leaf spring mount is too high on mine. My running boards were probably made in the Friday afternoon mounds or the curve has changed or warped slightly over the years.
                            When I got the car the doors didn’t open fully but I dismissed this and put it down to the fitting but back then as I was just stripping it down.
                            I also want to fabricate some centre supports like you have.
                            I will take the paint off first so at least I will be working with clean panels.

Comment

If it's only catching at fully open it will be the inbuilt warp in the N/S wing, which is why I put the support in, a) to pull it down b) to hold it there. Has also been handy as you can put your full weight on it without it sagging. Unfortunately, it will interfere with a silencer if you have one under the wing.

Comment

Hiya

I spent ages trying to fit the wings with many pleas on this forum, all of which were gratefully received.

To put it bluntly, the only thing you have to be worried about is the suspension upright, as long as that doesn't dent the inner wing then your ok.

I ignored the drawing in the manual and did my own thing I. E. If it looks right then it is right.

I had very little stress and they look fine.

Like you, I felt it depended on who built them and when.

Good luck.

Adrian

Originally posted by meverett View Post
                                Thanks Hugh, I will check again but think 180mm to the centre of the leaf spring mount is too high on mine. My running boards were probably made in the Friday afternoon mounds or the curve has changed or warped slightly over the years.
                                When I got the car the doors didn’t open fully but I dismissed this and put it down to the fitting but back then as I was just stripping it down.
                                I also want to fabricate some centre supports like you have.
                                I will take the paint off first so at least I will be working with clean panels.

Comment

Working...
                                X