Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
    If it's only catching at fully open it will be the inbuilt warp in the N/S wing, which is why I put the support in, a) to pull it down b) to hold it there. Has also been handy as you can put your full weight on it without it sagging. Unfortunately, it will interfere with a silencer if you have one under the wing.
    You are right, both running boards are warped slightly through age and when mounted the outer edge is higher than the fixed edge. A pair of strengthening brackets will sort this. Like you said the side exhaust will be in the way but I think I will be able to fabricate something.

image.jpg

Comment

I had the doors hitting the wings on both the cars I've owned so fitted door straps to stop them opening too far.

Also on the car I built (PKK989M) I welded brackets under the wings to pull them down and fix to provide support for when the inevitable plonker decides to jump on them.

Like these, probably make your own but at <£40 a pair...

https://www.holden.co.uk/displayprod...?pCode=097.799

097_799.jpg
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I was also thinking about check straps mainly for security as I feel that the doors are a little too easy to remove.
        First I will take all the old paint off including the inner wings, then fit them and fabricate some support brackets so the running boards will then be level across the width. Then I will have to wait for some fine weather again to get the paint tent out. The check straps will be included in the final finishing of the interior.
        Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Discussions on another thread inspired me to start on my hood.
          Made the cardboard templates, just a tweak here or there.

7B907A4D-CDEF-4CE8-A141-083D43BB04B4.jpeg

CCCC5AA1-95F8-4C32-B58B-D78B73EC32D0.jpeg

F6785352-A36C-4C7B-A260-84EA79DB35DE.jpeg

I have ordered some thick black water resistant tent grade canvas, it’s not uv stable but the car won’t be living out in all weather.
          The plan is to cut the canvas over size then fit it in much the same way but inside out with bulldog clips on the outside to hold the seams together before getting the sewing machine out.

Comment

Hi Martin,
            admire your courage. Remember if you do it inside out it will change sides and if it's like mine nothing is symetrical so I'd do a lot of measurements each side and compare.
            Hugh.

Comment

Respect, I've made a few things in canvas but hand sewn. My Singer won't take the needle and thread for canvas. Good luck with it!

Comment

Thanks Hugh, the template hood was not quite symetrical either, it’s close but not exact.
                I may tack it or use the sailmakers tape inside out then try correct way around before sewing.
                When the three parts are sewn together and the rear window is sewn in I will do another trial fit before the final edging is sewn on.
                I have use of a heavy duty machine so it should be ok.
                Got to give it a go, don’t know until you try. :-)

Comment

Respect.

Adrian

Originally posted by meverett View Post
                  Thanks Hugh, the template hood was not quite symetrical either, it’s close but not exact.
                  I may tack it or use the sailmakers tape inside out then try correct way around before sewing.
                  When the three parts are sewn together and the rear window is sewn in I will do another trial fit before the final edging is sewn on.
                  I have use of a heavy duty machine so it should be ok.
                  Got to give it a go, don’t know until you try. :-)

Comment

Making my own hood is definitely a learning curve for me.
                    To start with I had a bit of a catastrophe with the old singer machine, needle, timing gear teeth, anyway back up and running again with help from google.
                    Nearly there with the hood, just got to fit the lift the dot poppers and sew in the zips.

CC0AD1F9-FA46-457D-B43E-4D018A076DB6.jpeg

CC64D575-3687-4EA9-B737-F08517C1F97B.jpeg

7A6FD9BE-0C5E-4CAA-A50C-7A3C96705CEB.jpeg

DEEFACC4-7DEA-43F5-A506-F4C8B69D1BAE.jpeg

Comment

Wow I am in awe.

You are making an excellent job of you car.

I feel very humble.

Carry on and I hope to see you at one of the meets.

Adrian

Comment

Thanks Adrian,
                        Still got a lot to do yet.
                        Brakes, cooling, fuel, finish wiring, finish running boards and arches, fix all body work, check and torque all nuts and bolts and alloys to refurbish.
                        Hope to catch up one day.
                        Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Hats of to you for having a go at making the hood, I just would not know where to start.

Comment

It is certainly a learning curve for me, from learning how to use the sewing machine to fixing it and the different types of thread and needle.
                            After that you just break it down in sections starting with the back part and rear screen to the middle then the larger part of the roof then trimming the edges. Although the roof is fairly small it does get a bit unwieldy feeding through the sewing machine when trimming the edges.
                            I have just started attempt 2, I’m hoping to get the seams to line up better with the frame.

Comment

So 2nd attempt, that took a while to make. Not convinced the cant rail will hold.
                              I will probably remove from the rail again and clean off the contact adhesive and try to tension more to get a tighter fit.
                              Door screens done. Zip in nicely, just some poppers to fit.

5D336D41-70C9-4C7B-AA90-9244AE19A63B.jpeg

A57E525F-A901-4220-8F1E-DE05B70C8661.jpeg
                              Last edited by meverett; 07-02-19, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Try making up a couple of wedges to fit between the top of the screen frame and the cantrail so that the cantrail tips forward a bit more.
                                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                                X