Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

When I stuck it to the rail I had it propped in what I thought would be the fitted position but under tension it pulls down as in the picture. I need to separate it again and try to tension more and try to smooth it out. I will make up a couple of wedges to fix to the rail so it can’t dip like that. Otherwise I am quite pleased with the hood.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

I know why it’s not tensioned properly.
      I unstuck the cantrail and removed all the contact adhesive then retensioned it in the correct position then took some measurements.
      There is more overhang on the drivers side to the passenger side so when I had glued it down central it twisted the canvas.
      Corrective action, I have removed the side edging, I will trim the canvas on the drivers side to match the passenger then remake the zipped edging.

image.jpg

Doh! Run out of canvas, better order some more. Report back in a week or so. Soon be spring and I can get on with more bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
        When I stuck it to the rail I had it propped in what I thought would be the fitted position but under tension it pulls down as in the picture. I need to separate it again and try to tension more and try to smooth it out. I will make up a couple of wedges to fix to the rail so it can’t dip like that. Otherwise I am quite pleased with the hood.
        Any advice is greatly appreciated.
        The traditional way of holding the rail in place was with a squash ball.

Comment

Martin I have still been following your progress since my impulse purchase of the GTV managed to get in the way of my marlin build. The GTV is on the road now but needs a small bit of body work and fettling plus a respray so is still going to be taking some of my time/money like most old cars, but I now should be able to start giving some time to the roadster soon, if I can remember where I am at. Your build diary is impressive and encouraging me to get restarted on the roadster again, I will be looking at yours and other build posts when I get stuck.
          cheers

Phil

Comment

How does that work?

Adrian

Originally posted by droverpete View Post
            The traditional way of holding the rail in place was with a squash ball.

Comment

You needed two soft squash balls and pushed one into each corner of the cantrail.

Just another thing you need balls for when driving a roadster!!
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Ahhhh lol

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                You needed two soft squash balls and pushed one into each corner of the cantrail.

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                  Martin I have still been following your progress since my impulse purchase of the GTV managed to get in the way of my marlin build. The GTV is on the road now but needs a small bit of body work and fettling plus a respray so is still going to be taking some of my time/money like most old cars, but I now should be able to start giving some time to the roadster soon, if I can remember where I am at. Your build diary is impressive and encouraging me to get restarted on the roadster again, I will be looking at yours and other build posts when I get stuck.
                  cheers

Phil
                  Thanks Phil,
                  I know how other things get in the way. Since the summer when I was doing the spraying I was getting it in the ear to do some decorating. All I have managed to do to the car since is the hood which is still not finished and yet again decorating got in the way.
                  Good luck with yours and keep us posted with progress.
                  Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post

Ha like it :-)

Comment

Due to work and life the work on my soft top hood has stalled for a while, ‘‘tis nearly completed but as it has been lovely weather and having a few days off work I decided to get the DA out again to do the other running board back to gel coat.
                      I have dry fitted them to the inner wings and on to the car and was thinking about bonding the running board to the inner wing then when set remove the bolts and fill the holes before prepping for paint. I have a tube of tiger seal that was purchased with this in mind. Anyone else done this?
                      Cheers, Martin.

5D0C0C01-C8C6-4B93-BF43-57BE873B5D4B.jpeg

Comment

Nah, I've gone for the full bling, paid enough for all the quality stainless steel bolts and wanted to show them off .

Adrian

Due to work and life the work on my soft top hood has stalled for a while, ‘‘tis nearly completed but as it has been lovely weather and having a few days off work I decided to get the DA out again to do the other running board back to gel coat.
                        I have dry fitted them to the inner wings and on to the car and was thinking about bonding the running board to the inner wing then when set remove the bolts and fill the holes before prepping for paint. I have a tube of tiger seal that was purchased with this in mind. Anyone else done this?
                        Cheers, Martin.

[ATTACH]10794[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thanks Adrian, I am hoping for a seamless look between the running board and inner wing. Still a lot left to do and way behind compared to your progress.
                          Last edited by meverett; 10-04-19, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks Adrian, I am hoping for a seamless look between the running board and inner wing. Still a lot left to do and way behind your progress.
                            I tend to agree with you Martin. My Roadster is finished like that and I think the lines are so much better.
                            Gareth.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, I guess there is no wrong answer and everyone will have their own preferences, this is what makes each and every car unique. I have nothing against exposed stainless fixings but with mine the original bolts were not evenly spaced.
                              Before I stripped the car the wings were held together with bolts and the heads filled over to give the seamless look, unfortunately the filler was a thin layer and cracking which highlighted the fixings.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth View Post
                                I tend to agree with you Martin. My Roadster is finished like that and I think the lines are so much better.
                                Gareth.
                                That is a nice setting for a great photo.

Comment

Working...
                                X