Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Buy Car Wiring & Wiring Harnesses and get the best deals at the lowest prices on eBay! Great Savings & Free Delivery / Collection on many items

Purchased this one and explained my setup to them so a Lucas loom was made up. A bit more than I was expecting. I will still have a bit of head scratching as I have to make all the connections yet although I am gradually working it out, my speedo and rev counter are electronic so will need calibration when finished.
    I was looking at my old loom and had a couple of concerns with different wires spliced together and a couple of wires were clearly melted.

Comment

I used Premier wiring for my Serria based cabrio. Loom was just the job, though I did have a slight problem understanding the wiring around the headlamps as there were two variants and I didn't know which one I had. It was perfectly clear once I figured it out though.
      Apart from that everyting seemed simple to connect up....

Comment

While I’m waiting for a few bits and bobs for continuing my wiring I decided to make another attempt at my dash.

61A0F574-42F3-4090-A583-131F017F5AAE.jpeg

8230ADF4-61D1-4433-B7A2-D3ED3C886E75.jpeg

Just need to cut out for a glove box and make the back box then a good sand down and varnish.

Comment

Cut the glovebox door, now got to make a back box.

24783EC8-2AE8-439F-A55C-C63A041F2955.jpeg

CB0DEDE6-C0E3-4BC7-B594-021B05C1333A.jpeg

Comment

Hi

I got rid of the glove box in favour of putting the windscreen wiper behind the dash and hence freeing up space where it use to be to allow me to place my bike battery .

This in turn gave the passenger a lot more leg room as the battery box intruded into their space.

Never used the glove box on my previous Marlin Roadster .

Nice though.

Adrian

Comment

My battery box is cut in to the centre of the bulkhead so it’s not in the way, my wiper motor is on (or will be) the passenger side of the bulkhead, still plenty of leg room for passenger.
              The dash looked like it needed the glove box as it was empty that side, mind you it will probably only be big enough for a pair of sun glasses. :-)

Comment

Looks good Martin. Steeling myself to re-do mine and change the layout.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                  Hi

I got rid of the glove box in favour of putting the windscreen wiper behind the dash and hence freeing up space where it use to be to allow me to place my bike battery .

This in turn gave the passenger a lot more leg room as the battery box intruded into their space.

Never used the glove box on my previous Marlin Roadster .

Nice though.

Adrian
                  My car was built in the 80’s and seems like it always had a glovebox door but no box behind until I made one a year or so back! You could get heaps in there though and everything was easy to reach between your legs.
                  - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                  - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                  - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                  - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                  - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Ha! Mine will probably end up the same with no box. Be good access to the fuse box :-)

Comment

• Re: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Spent a bit of time on the Roadster today.
                      Rubbed down the scuttle back to gel coat and then primed.

D4C522AE-5FE0-4E84-BB3D-B4657957567C.jpeg

71848E04-F220-4C32-8267-2865B6770305.jpeg

0BBB4D23-2D35-4E88-9690-625F29589EE6.jpeg

Looking at topcoat now. Thinking Tornado red.
                      I didn’t realize that you can’t get cellulose paint any more just 2k.
                      Not sprayed with 2k before, other than mixing 2:1 with activator plus 10% thinners is anything else different?
                      I’m not afraid to try it but would like to be prepared.
                      I will try a couple of small panels first before going onto the bigger stuff.
                      Last edited by meverett; 09-07-18, 08:13 PM.

Comment

If I were you I would have a read about 2pack paint and the damage it can do to your health. Plus once the colour or basecoat is on you then need 2-3 or more coats of clear coat or finish that will give you your shiny finish, that's after you have rubbed down the basecoat so that the shiny finish will be perfect.
                        The bit that can ruin your health is the fumes (isocyanate) you must wear a full hood spray mask with force feed air.
                        That's it roughly in a nutshell the rest is up to you, and reading about what risks you want to take.
                        Phil

Comment

Thanks Phil. I have heard about the health risks of 2k and would take precautions.
                          I have an old ‘market stall’ type frame with massive tarpaulin that I was going to use outside the garage for spraying. Also I have a respirator with cartridges for use with solvent fumes.
                          Reading further into the legislation you can still get cellulose paint but for use only with classic and vintage cars, perfect as the Marlin is registered as historic.
                          Last edited by meverett; 09-07-18, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Update on my dash. All wired in and everything doing what it should. Engine wired up but my battery is as good as dead. Day and night charging and just enough power to turn the engine over a few times to confirm the oil pressure light go out and check I have a spark.

7D869015-748A-4EA2-8C19-C6D09575C25A.jpeg

Comment

For cellulose look at agricultural dealers they supply it for tractors.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
                                Thanks Phil. I have heard about the health risks of 2k and would take precautions.
                                I have an old ‘market stall’ type frame with massive tarpaulin that I was going to use outside the garage for spraying. Also I have a respirator with cartridges for use with solvent fumes.
                                Reading further into the legislation you can still get cellulose paint but for use only with classic and vintage cars, perfect as the Marlin is registered as historic.
                                As I understand it you need a “spaceman” suit with an umbilical air supply a respirator is not going to hack it.

I’ve heard a few people talk of using boat paint on their cars and getting a good finish. I’ve even heard that a roller application is possible. I’ve not knowingly seen a car painted in this way so I can’t say if it’s any good or not.
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X