Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Thanks and I also can’t wait to see it finished. :-)
    Lovely weather so got the primer on, get it flattened off then all I need is another weekend like this and I can sort the topcoat. Gets bleddy hot in the paint tent.
    Last to paint will be the headlight pods and the spare wheel carrier, nice small and easy bits then on to the brakes, fuel and cooling and all the other unfinished bits.

Comment

Whilst having a bit of a tidy up in the garage I came across the radiator cowl that I took off the car nearly 3 years ago. It is stainless steel and after a bit of a clean up and slight modification to add the fan looks good.
      It was made to house the classic Mini rad so I ordered a new aluminium rad.
      My plan is to use the original engine cooling fan and also wire in the electric fan that is now fitted to the front of the cowl. The fan works in both directions so just need to make sure I wire it so it blows cool air through the rad rather than away from it. I can either wire it to a thermostatic switch or to a switch on the dash, thermo switch will probably be best.

26916368-A234-4A54-9F5A-2C0CB189231B.jpeg

1A17D68A-2C4F-4F8D-BCC5-95B4DDA009CE.jpeg

Comment

Are you mounting on the back or front of the rad. Martin? It's much better on the back as it impedes the natural air flow less.

Comment

I agree, mounting on the engine side is better. In addition it gets fewer insects stuck to it and makes cleaning the rad easier.
          Paul

Comment

I don’t think it makes much difference, it will spin in the airflow anyway, and if needed it will turn on maybe a fraction earlier.

There is a debate though that curve bladed fans are more efficient spinning in the correct direction.

Two fans mounted in-line is likely to be a lot less efficient as the air flow from one is likely to cause the other to stall.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hiya

I have mine mounted on the outside pulling air in.

I have also kept the original fan as this allows for hot air to be pushed out via the shark gills.

Will add a picture in a moment.

Adrian

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
              I agree, mounting on the engine side is better. In addition it gets fewer insects stuck to it and makes cleaning the rad easier.
              Paul

Comment

Note: I have retained the fan but have used the mgb one which has 7 fins

20190530_113037.jpg

Picture showing front mounted electric fan.

This worked well in Le Mans and has proved itself in heavy traffic on the M25

20190530_113046.jpg

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                Hiya

I have mine mounted on the outside pulling air in.

I have also kept the original fan as this allows for hot air to be pushed out via the shark gills.

Will add a picture in a moment.

Adrian

Comment

I have the same Adrian, I am using the engine fan and mounted the electric fan on the outside to push air through as and when needed.

Comment

Found a nice pair of Westfield seats on eBay that will go nice in the Roadster.

A8AC7AF5-BD6C-4345-830F-01A1EEABBADF.jpeg

Comment

Thought I would get her out in the sun today to give the garage floor a bit of a clean.

4EE724B4-9A3F-4405-BED7-F6A1129D6ADF.jpeg

B12C2E58-24EB-493A-9659-81C0B1FD716B.jpeg

Comment

Wow she looks wonderful.

Adrian

Comment

Thanks Adrian, paint isn’t perfect and still needs a bit of work.
                          None of the body panels are actually fitted yet just sitting in place.
                          Cheers, Martin.

Comment

You haven't seen mine in the cold daylight.

I'm just glad that I can drive her.

Carry on the good work and look forward to seeing you and the car in the very near future.

Adrian

Comment

Well done Martin, looks really good. Must try and get over sometime, seems like ages.
                              If I can get all the concrete blocks out of my drive soon I might be able to get mine out of the garage.
                              Hugh

Comment

Great Job there

Rgds DC

Comment

Working...
                                X