Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

That is all looking good, I'm feeling slightly embarrassed that I'm still working up the enthusiasm to re-visit my leaky choke mechanism... small job, but lacking enthusiasm to continue the saga. I should have returned the carbs as 'not fit for purpose' instead of deciding to correct the bad workmanship myself!
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Been busy today cleaning up the bulkhead.

Before.

00054.JPG

After.

00055.JPG

And fitted to the chassis.

00058.JPG

Comment

If you haven't already thought of it you should consider adding the bulkhead strengthening to stop it cracking.
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Thanks for that. I have got it and dug it out to be stripped and repainted.
          It is the triangle that bolts onto the servo mounting plate and bolts to the side louvred bonnet. Is this the best design or is there one that takes it down to the chassis?

Comment

It's the factory design that I think most people use. I used an old kart track rod and made a couple of brackets to fix it between the peddle box and the chassis. There are some pictures in my blog. I may have another track rod lying around, I'll have a look in the week.

Comment

I put a piece of alloy angle from side to side across the top of the tunnel and pop rivited it top and bottom as a permanent fixture. I'll try and find a pic.

Comment

Here we go, you can see it running along the fold.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I will have to find some angle aluminium and do the same.
                  Did it interfere with the accelerator pedal fixing bracket?

Comment

I have something similar as well as the brace. I thiBK it should be fine. Mine is at the limit of what the studs will fit through.

Comment

From memory, and it is a long time ago, no, there wasn't any problems and its been like that since 1990.

Comment

Been stripping the bell housing off the gearbox today to clean up ready to paint. The first motion shaft oil seal was perished and gasket fell to bits so ordered a new set. Put the build wheels on and noticed I have got a camber issue as in the picture. I haven't taken any measurements yet other than one side is sitting 5 mm higher on the damper (centre to centre of mounting bolts) even though I set the outer ends of the suspension arms 150mm lower than the inner mounting so some minor adjustments to be made.

00061.JPG

Comment

I wouldn't worry until you put the engine and box in as it will settle down then.

Comment

Suggest as Andy says you wait a while. May even be better to wait until its all together then get in and and bounce it around a bit

Comment

Ok thanks will wait. I have a set of adjustable tie rods that I am going to clean up and replace the standard ones as well.
                              As for a panhard rod in my other thread, do they help, would the RTL linkage be better? That looks a neat solution to the sideways movement of the back end. Has anyone fabricated one at home?

Comment

In case you haven't noticed the bottom bolt in the bell housing has a copper washer and needs to go back in the bottom bolt hole.
                                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                                X