Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Good point Ben, many thanks. Just checked the bolts that I had removed and they all have spring washers so I had better look for a copper washer. When I removed the bell housing there was a fair bit of silicone that I had to clean up, as the oil seal had failed the last owner decided that was best instead of replacing the seal and gasket. I have also noticed that they misplaced one of the laygear springs as well so I have ordered one of those. I now feel the need to remove the final drive flange to replace that oil seal and while I am at it remove the rear extension to replace that gasket. Getting the final drive flange off is proving to be a challenge though.

Comment

Assuming you have managed to get the end nut undone 150 ft/lbs the flange should come away its on splines. a small two legged puller should do it.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Or in my case, rear tub off, handbrake hard on, a foot on each rear tyre & a 4" scaffold pole over the torque wrench were sufficient to shift the nut...as Ben says the flange is easy after that
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I bought a £60 impact gun and socket from fleabay and buzzed it. It came off no problem. Maybe I was just lucky.
          Stumbling around in the dark
          Marina based SWB roadster
          Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

When I said the final drive I meant the prop shaft flange on the gearbox. Gearbox is off the car with the bell housing removed and currently sitting on the work mate.
            I used a piece of 3' box section and drilled two 10mm holes approx 58mm apart and bolted this to the flange then using the breaker bar and socket on the nut it gave way. That bugger was tight but got there and the flange just pulls off easy revealing another slightly perished oil seal. Now to split the gearbox from the rear extension to replace the gasket then put it all back together.
            Last edited by meverett; 20-04-17, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I stripped the rear extension off the gearbox to replace the gasket, done and back together. I now know where the 3rd laygear spring went, after checking I had all gears after putting it back together I saw the chewed up spring through one of the bell housing bolt holes.

IMG_3524.JPG

Whilst trying to retrieve this spring I noticed what looks like a layshaft needle roller bearing (a single needle) and I haven't even stripped it down to that extent, a few choice words as I am now thinking it will be a complete strip down to put that one needle back in.

Comment

Not sure how a needle roller could escape unless you pulled the lay shaft spindle back when taking off the rear extension. The rear extension will need to come back off even if only to allow the lay shaft spindle to slide back about an inch or so to replace the needle.
                You need to use your little finger with loads of grease in the front as you pull the spindle backwards to stop dropping more needles before trying to replace the stray needle.

Best of luck with that!!

Comment

Hi Ben, I didn't disturb the lay shaft, I also couldn't understand how a roller pin could come out. It could have been in there from the original assembly.
                  My thinking now is it could be a layshaft pin that holds the plate in position where the springs push against. With this pin out the plate has moved back slightly, enough to pull one of the springs in and chew it up.
                  I suppose there is only one way to find out.

Comment

There isnt any type of pin to locate the thrust washer that the springs load against.

The thrust washer has a bent tag that sits in a groove in the casing, it can only move as far as any wear on the rear thrust washer. The only way the spring could have got into the bottom of the box is that it fell through the bolt hole last time the bell housing was taken off.

I think you really do need to investigate further.

Comment

Day off work today and done my chores so get on with the gearbox. Investigation over. Gearbox fully stripped down with all the parts on the bench. I had 24 needle bearings in one side and 23 in the other side of the layshaft.
                      Next problem I have is the reverse gears are a bit chewed up, anyone know where I can get replacements?

IMG_3528.JPG
                      IMG_3529.JPG
                      IMG_3530.JPG

Comment

Looks like I am missing another 2 needle rollers for the layshaft, I got 24 for each side but think there should be 25 each side.
                        Where did these go, nothing else fell out of the casing.
                        I think this gearbox has been apart before as silicone was used on top of the old gaskets and of coarse the needle rollers in the bottom of the casing.

Comment

Yes the lay gear should have 25 needle rollers each end not sure the Marina single rail box internals are identical to a later Spitfire single rail box or not. TD Fitchetts do most spares for the Triumphs but you will need to count the teeth on the gears. Stripping the mainshaft make sure you note which order and which way round the hubs go.

The front circlip on the mainshaft is a challenge and you must use a new replacement clip.

Unless the old needle rollers broke up and came out in the oil as sludge I think you are right and someone has been there before you.

What was the cage roller on the nose of the mainshaft like? worth replacing while its apart.

Comment

Thanks Ben, I am considering a rebuild kit on eBay at £90. Includes all the bearings, gaskets, oil seals, springs and new layshaft.
                            Will still need the reverse gears though, is the reverse gear a known common problem or is it just mine.

Comment

Probably the same thing don't know the company.... eBay item110998945450

My sons Triumph box had the same problem but we got away with just replacing the idler. Not sure why this happens except for trying to engage reverse too soon.

Comment

Same item I am looking at other than I got the ital gearbox and viewing the ital kit, presume they are the same anyway.
                                The cage roller looks in good condition with no flat spots and smooth running but the kit has one of those as well.
                                The wear on the reverse gear and idler is in one place and not on all teeth so probably someone forcing into reverse before coming to a stand still.

Comment

Working...
                                X