Exhaust pipe positioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust pipe positioning

We have a lwb roadster, fiat twin cam 2.0 in it and in a couple of months I'll be getting a new stainless downpipe assembly to replace the rusty mild steel one fitted atm.

The current assembly puts the exhaust pipe under the main chassis and out to the drivers' side where the silencer is fitted.

It has been suggested that we could cut a hole in the engine bay side wall and take the pipes (2) straight through (above the chassis) to the silencer that way instead of going under the chassis and up to the silencer. When I look at this - I wonder whether it would be risky to have these very hot pipes quite close to the fiberglass side wing outside / under the drivers' door..

What do you think - has anyone done this?

Re: Exhaust pipe positioning

This is the normal way, as designed by Marlin, for a 1800 TC Marina based Roadster.
    You can see how close the wing is from the bolt holes (the upper row), and to my knowledge, it's never been a problem
    These pics taken today from my project car, the bonnet side is only "placed " in position
    .................aaah, I wondered where that pencil had gone !
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dcunn; 29-03-17, 05:53 PM.

Comment

On my SWB Roadster Triumph engine, the silencer is underneath the drivers "Running board", when the engine was hot this caused the paint on the Running board to blister. I fixed a piece of stainless steel above the silencer as a heat shield, and this cured the problem. The paint is still slightly blistered after 7 years but "one day" it might be painted!!!!!! David.

Comment

Ok thanks - I'll have another look and take another picture to show what I was concerned about - maybe I was coming out 'too high' up and perhaps I can come out as low as your pics show - in which case it shouldn't be a problem...

Comment

Tolkien has had the silencer under the offside running board all its life
          Attached Files

Comment

Capture.JPG

Comment

My hybrid with a 6 cyl has GRP inner wings and the exhaust runs over the chassis to a cherry bomb under the running board. I glued a square of insulation cloth above the silencer and no problems over 30 year and over 80th miles. You will need to cut away the flange as per the pic above.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

That's exactly how I want it.. It can be done so now its just a case of preparation, design & fitting with the new stainless pipework arranged to exit the sidewall instead of going under it. My Dad (who built the car) said he'd prefer to take the exhaust out to the rear but I don't see that as a necessity - coming out through the side is definitely a simpler modification for the time being.

Comment

We fitted the exhaust under the running board to gain max ground clearance.

Comment

Yes that's one benefit but the engine sump is equally as low under our car.. I'm tempted to fit some kind of strong sump gaurd one day but it's not on the 'do this year list'...

Comment

Working...
                    X