Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The start of the engine build.

Greetings all
    it been a few weeks but I have now sorted out a suitable engine for my car, I am going with a 1973 1500 Triumph spitfire engine.
    I have stripped it down and I am currently assessing its over all condition, (not bad but could be better)
    After a little consideration and after doing the maths I have decided to go with strapping a Subaru turbo on the side, so it will either
    work or go bang!!20170331_123950.jpg20170331_124010.jpg20170331_124041.jpg
    I have tried to include a few pictures of the engine so I hope they work,
    I dont know about you but something tells me the clutch plate may be worn out

Re: The start of the engine build.

Interesting ! (Turbo)
    How would you go about "fueling" it?

Comment

Morning
      planning on using a high pressure fuel pump and build a custom air box I am also on the look out for a pair of early MG metro carbs,
      this is not going to be a simple build but it is possible my main concerns are can the Triumph engine handle it.
      all of my research is pointing to limiting the boost but where there is a will there is a way.
      in my opinion it is either going to work with a bit of tweeking or it will go BANG!
      Mike

Comment

I remember 1500s as not having great cranks I dont think I would be going that way at all, also why twin carbs for forced breathing? surly a larger singe SU would be ok

Comment

I,m interested because I am considering a supercharger for my xflow (5 bearing crank) just for the hell of it - and I like the noise they make!
          I,m not a "theoretical" engineer though so would have to do some proper research on fueling, which is why I asked.
          The actual "strapping it on" bit seems the easiest!

Comment

Originally posted by darth vader View Post
            Morning
            planning on using a high pressure fuel pump and build a custom air box I am also on the look out for a pair of early MG metro carbs,
            this is not going to be a simple build but it is possible my main concerns are can the Triumph engine handle it.
            all of my research is pointing to limiting the boost but where there is a will there is a way.
            in my opinion it is either going to work with a bit of tweeking or it will go BANG!
            Mike
            Some interesting stuff here, which you may already have seen..?
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Total respect if you can make that work .. but like a couple of others I'd heard 1500 isnt the best to tune... of course never believe everything you read on the net but this guy definitely has a downer on that engine ..

http://triumphspitfire.rickbaines.co...s-1500-engine/

Best of luck, let us know what you decide to do !
              Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
              Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Working...
              X