Members Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Members Map

I have noticed that the numbers of members shown on the uk members map has not changed from 105 for a very long time.
    Can I suggest that in the next PITSTOP a note be inserted asking if members would allow their locations be shown.
    This will help if anyone breaks down nearby, they may be able to get help from knowledgeable members.

Re: Members Map

Agreed, but as the map is only available online, only those regularly using the forum might be aware of the option.
    The difficulty is that when you look at the members map, there are no instructions as to how to get your entry added, edited, or removed. It can only be done via the Admin team.
    Personally, if it was in the members individual control to edit their own data, it would be a much more valuable resource, but as you say, it has been neglected for years.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I started the Members Map many years ago for the sole purpose of inviting members within a given radius of my home to events that I was proposing to run. It was to be a way of strengthening the club and the number of participants in local events. For instance, I have always fancied going round the Morgan factory (wouldn't it be a hoot to organise a visit not declare who we were and turn up in a convoy of Marlins and drove into their carpark in a convoy shouting "Is it a Marlin - but that's another story) Let's imagine that I would like to see who would be interested in visiting the BMW Mini factory at Cowley. Under the current thinking how would I find out who would want to go? You imagine a sports club that plays matches against another. It would be ludicrous if a team member had to pull out and the only way to find a replacement was to go through the club membership secretary. If you type "what detail of a club member can be sent to other club members for the purposes of setting up an event?" in Google you can see that there are a number of ways of approaching the problem. This issue was raised at the AGM and shouted down. John Mulvaney said that he has no desire to be contacted about anything. What if he is on a waiting list to go on a restricted event and a vacancy suddenly cropped up. Under the current thinking he would miss his opportunity. This is perhaps a bad example because John's contact details are public knowledge through his entry in Pitstop and his status within the club but if it were a recently new member, it would be a totally different matter.

I have posted a couple of instances that deal with the very issue :

....for membership application - Royal Yachting Association ...
      The information which you provide in this form and any other information obtained or provided during the course of your application for membership will be used solely for the purpose of processing your application (including payment processing) and if elected to membership, dealing with you as a member of [insert name of club][ including creation of a membership handbook with member’s contact details which will be available to all members]. The data will not be shared with any third party for marketing or commercial purposes without firstly obtaining your explicit consent.[If you object to the inclusion of
      your details in a membership handbook please tick here________]
      NOTE: a similar consent notice will need to be included on membership renewal forms.\

I suspect the situation has to be along the lines of you are automatically "opted out" until you "opt in" but even that is not totally clear and because we all know what human nature is like I would prefer to see the latter. It will restore the strength of the club. Perhaps we might have to change the constitution to cater for the appropriate membership data or entry process but it needs to be done. If not the Membership map might as well be taken down otherwise even if it is totally up to date all it achieves is to frustrate the member who wants to organise an event because he can see there are folk living relatively close by but cannot contact them.

There are several club types where they couldn’t function without the members being able to contact each other. Any sport that has a competitive nature would find it difficult survive without members being able to publish its membership list so that they can organise games/matches or organise last minute replacements without having to go through the membership secretary: Golf, Chess, Badminton, Cricket etc etc.

I would like to bet that every one of our committee has a list of members that they have built up over the years with their contact telephone number so that they can get in touch with them. How does the new member acquire an equivalent list

The membership map is of secondary issue and a bi-product. The real issue is
      I raise all this, not because I am looking for a way to somehow circumvent the Data Protection Act but because it is simply reasonable that if any member of a club, which we are reminded of is the folk within the club, wishes talk to, get in touch with any other member, then they should be able to without having to go through a third party and if any member wishes not to be contacted, they should be able to set that up as well. The whole purpose of running a club is so that a number of like minded folk can get together to discuss and enjoy their particular interest.

With Tony’s permission (Membership Secretary) I am quite happy to contact the various Government agencies on behalf of the club to see how they recommend resolving some of the issues raised above.

Totally coincidently, I have just received the membership details of a croquet club I have just joined and in addition to the rules, regulations, fixture lists there is a membership list with everyone’s name email address and telephone number in it

Comment

I could not agree more with Keith.
        Not necessarily helpful to me, as I am mostly in Spain, but as Keith says we all have a list of names, but mine is way out of date but includes many who still own Marlins, but have left the club out of frustration.
        Without forward movement and a proactive mood, the membership will continue its steady decline.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Although my name on here is still AdminUser (dont ask) I haven't been involved with the website and stuff for a considerable amount of time but its probably a good idea if I throw in a few thoughts. I dispute the members map wasnt updated for "years" but agree it could have been brought up to date more frequently and I apologise for being lax in that part of what I saw as my duty at the time. The issue concerning DPA is quite clear and doesn't need any real thought - people MUST opt in to sharing data - that's the law. Keith, your croquet club is breaking the law!
          At the time the original map was kindly set up by Keith, Google was running shy of member's maps and removed the ability for people to add to maps for this sort of purpose. I haven't checked but believe there are some workarounds now - indeed I have recently completed a project for somebody else (a rock group whose fans wanted to do this) and now have a script that can run on php to do exactly what is being asked for here.
          The key point from the discussions above is the recognition that without this website and forum this club will cease to exist and we need to use every bit of technology at our disposal to keep it all going.
          Happy to answer questions via PM or email.
          Cameron

Comment

Couldn't you just post the details of any proposed event here on the forum and ask any interested parties to contact you via PM or whatever . Why try and complicate a simple solution?

Comment

I recall seeing on the forum the Coast to Coast event, due to me and I suspect others seeing it on the forum I volunteered and took part in a most enjoyable event and also contributing to charity.
              I would have missed out on this, as it is most unlikely I would have been contacted due to my locality.
              I may have been a little spooked by someone I did not know asking me to volunteer for an event by E Mail or by telephone.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                Couldn't you just post the details of any proposed event here on the forum and ask any interested parties to contact you via PM or whatever . Why try and complicate a simple solution?
                That sounds to me like a vote to discontinue the members map and to resort to the old system.

The world is changing, the members attitude is also changing. The club should be proactive in encouraging and providing opportunities for new members and not taking retrograde steps.

Unless we find ways to retain members, the steady decline in numbers will continue and the club will dissapear.
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

According to the figures there hasn't been any significant decline in the number of members!

Comment

I have found the map very useful and interesting (used it in the last two weeks to allert another member of an event, see Newby Hall entry) It would be good to be able to edit and give your own contact details. For those not wishing to leave themselves open to unsolicited contacts then they need not put contact details in their entry.
                    I hope there is a solution.
                    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Couple of questions:

1. Are details taken off the map if a person's membership lapses?

2. How do I get added to the map?

Comment

Just to say I am reading this thread with interest.

It so happens that at the AGM I suggested as the map was not well populated we should consider removing it.

I’m not sure of the legalities but my personal policy is to never give out any personal information unless requested to do so by the person. So if you ask me to give another member your address or email and ask them to contact you – that’s fine. You can’t ask me to give you another member’s email.

I agree that it would be great to have a tick box in your personal details to say add me to the map.

Even with that in place I doubt we could get more than a few takers.

To answer a couple of questions from Jon:
                        1. Are details taken off the map if a person's membership lapses?
                        I guess that would be my job. I haven’t removed anybody yet. I don’t know if any non-members are in the map.

2. How do I get added to the map?
                        I guess that would be my job. I haven’t added anybody yet.

Paul
                        Website Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by mocad2016 View Post
                          It so happens that at the AGM I suggested as the map was not well populated we should consider removing it.
                          Would you care to share the meetings mood on the subject, or did it just get shelved, to remain as is, no further action?
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                            Would you care to share the meetings mood on the subject, or did it just get shelved, to remain as is, no further action?

There was some discussion as to why we didn’t share people’s details without their permission. Some discussion afterwards with a couple of members who would like to see opting in simplified. Not a very strong consensus in favour or against.
                            Paul

Comment

I think the issue is not about how to simplify opting in (opting out is not an option legally) but once people have "ticked the box" to say its ok to share all/some details its how you then process that information to populate a map etc. that's difficult. Automating it from within a database is very hard so unless members update it themselves (no provision for this atm) it has to be done as a batch upload every so often. Not difficult but it does add to the workload.
                              The website and associated technology is hugely important to the club and these little extras are really worth doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X