Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Members Map

Originally posted by AdminUser View Post
    I think the issue is not about how to simplify opting in (opting out is not an option legally) but once people have "ticked the box" to say its ok to share all/some details its how you then process that information to populate a map etc. that's difficult. Automating it from within a database is very hard so unless members update it themselves (no provision for this atm) it has to be done as a batch upload every so often. Not difficult but it does add to the workload.
    The website and associated technology is hugely important to the club and these little extras are really worth doing.
    I remember arguing that the members themselves should have the right to decide what information was revealed, and to allow editing of their information that was shared.
    It would add a level of complexity to the online system, but simultaneously would remove the need for a web admin to add or edit a information voluntarily shared, on demand!
    There would be no need to cull or edit the list when memberships expire provided, if a last update record was held, expect perhaps on a 5 year basis, but those using the database could use their personal knowledge to personally cull the information. I, for example, living mostly in Spain, would not expect to be invited to UK events.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by mocad2016 View Post

2. How do I get added to the map?
      I guess that would be my job. I haven’t added anybody yet.
      Please would you do that for me then, Paul.

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

Hi, Personally I would welcome any up-dating or bringing back into use of the Members Map. I seem to be the only Marlin owner on the South Coast and it's a bit lonely down here. Personally I would have no problem with my contact details being published on the map as the distribution is after all to Club Members and the purpose of the club is to bring members together. There are several local shows available to enter but few kit cars or interesting specials.

Comment

Originally posted by velovol View Post
          Hi, Personally I would welcome any up-dating or bringing back into use of the Members Map. I seem to be the only Marlin owner on the South Coast and it's a bit lonely down here. Personally I would have no problem with my contact details being published on the map as the distribution is after all to Club Members and the purpose of the club is to bring members together. There are several local shows available to enter but few kit cars or interesting specials.
          I also want to keep the members map. If people are nervous about giving their full details then surely they could be persuaded to allow just the nearest large town to be put on the map. Perhaps a proactive note could be put in Pitstop to encourage members to do this? It would certainly encourage me with the SW Meets! Peter.

Comment

It just occurred to me that I also belong to the Westerly Owners Association who publish a year book every year with members names, names of boats and telephone and e-mail addresses. I haven't counted them but there are probably well over 1,000 and they are quite happy to go on providing that information. I agree with a certain level of security but I can't see Marlin owners as being particular high on anyone's list of targets and a little more openness would help members get together.

Comment

Being a new member I would be happy to be added to the members map. Is this not something that could be added to the membership application? Would you like your details added to the members map. Tick for yes? Or am I being too simplistic and lack background understanding? Happy to be advised........Steve

Comment

Reading through the various comments on the subject I started re members map, can I suggest that it could a subject placed in Pitstop stating the yes or no and be a question at the next committee meeting and a subject in the any other business at the AGM.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                  Welcome to the club.

I have been following this thread with some interest but I don’t have an easy answer.

As I recall the original members map was created after a pole asking members if they would like to be added to the map. The map was created from a list of members using that pole. I don’t have that list. The map is out of date but without the original list I can’t update the map to add or remove members. Even if the original list could be found I could add the new members but how to find out which members or ex-members still want to be in the map?

As suggested the ideal situation would be to have a check box in the member’s profile to update the map automatically. This would require some bespoke code. We are reluctant to use bespoke code because it can be expensive and maintenance can be a problem. We may need to revise the code every time the associated software was updated.

There are two more possibilities. We could make a member’s check box then manually extract a list of members opting in. Then rebuild the map by hand at regular intervals, say monthly or biannually. I have two concerns over this method.
                  1) The original pole did not get a big response and I think asking members to update their profile would get a smaller response. It should be remembered that a large part of our members never logon.
                  2) I would be creating more work for my successor. Once set up I anticipate it would be less than an hour’s work to renew the map. A way round this might be to have a volunteer become the Marlin Map Master.

The second possibility is to add the details of all members in an anonymous way. Then if any member wanted to approach another member found on the map we would broker a contact. This is not easy as the map is created from the members name and address. It’s easy enough to change the name to some code. If we somehow disguise the address how useful is the map?

Any of the above may incur additional cost with our web supplier. Would this be a good use of the club’s funds?

So the question is not so much “yes” or “no” but “hope so”. This topic is discussed within the committee fairly regularly. It is not a lack of care that is causing delay but a lack of an easy answer. I think this will be discussed at our next committee meeting but I don’t see a simple way forward.

We would welcome any other suggestions.
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by mocad2016 View Post
                    We would welcome any other suggestions.
                    Paul
                    How about another option.

Each member, who wants to be included, makes that choice their own. And then give them the option of inputting as much information, or as little, that they are happy with, without approval from mocad2016, whoever he happens to be, apparently, Paul?

Dispose of the need for web admin to add, I bet they never delete, data, reducing their admin input.

Give each member the responsibility for their own data.

If the map database fails, it will be the lack of members support that is to blame, and the project closes.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                      I agree that there could be automation and that would avoid manual administration. But it would inevitably require some bespoke code and that is not an option for the reasons stated.

Moccad2016 is the club administrator’s id, currently me (Paul Carey). I am trying to separate “official” communications from personal ones to aid the transition to a new administrator in May 2018.
                      Paul

Contact details in the “contact us” web page and in Pitstop.

Comment

Just chipping in here because I noticed that the map is a Google Map and I know, because I’ve used these for other data, that all it takes is to upload a data file(spreadsheet) to get the pins on it. So if someone can do an export of the members list it’s a 10 minute job.

Happy to help do this if someone is happy to give me the (edited, sanitized) data and access to the Google account that the map is attached to.
                        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

The map is simply a Google map with a CSV format list of members who opted in to it,as David states; it took no time to update but collating new map pins seemed to be a bit longwinded. I used to update it every two or three months. The idea of members updating their own pushpin is nice but pretty difficult. Paul is right too, in order to extract data from consenting members from the membership dB then port it into a mapping tool would require we one pair for coding. I do think a map is a good idea but it does require someone to actually get the data in at regular intervals. I think it is likely to be revisited by the committee soon (they are proactive!) So if anyone wants to volunteer for the Map Master job let Paul know in the first instance?

Comment

Can this option be investigated. It sounds plausible.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Assuming that most members would use the map to find out details of other members in a particular area (usually near to them I imagine), has anyone ever looked into the possibility of providing a "Search for other members by postcode" option? I've no idea whether this would be impossible or easy to set up, but it might be worth checking. In the year that I owned my Marlin, I only got to meet up with one other member who lived in Somerset, but it would have been great to have known if there were others within the county who would have been interested in a run out somewhere or even just meeting up for a drink and some "car chat".

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                                Can this option be investigated. It sounds plausible.
                                https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=141584
                                Hi Steve,
                                The big problem at the moment is to know who wants to be in and who’s out.

The web site you pointed to is “Phoogle! An interactive Google Maps mapping system” a vBulletin 3.6 add-in. The program was released: 09 Mar 2007 and the last update: 09 Apr 2007. The author’s last activity was in 2012. We are on a newer vBulletin version. Even if the application was a perfect fit for us I could not implement unsupported code. A good thought though.
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X