Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina / Ital gearbox parts.

Hi guys,
    As in my rebuild diary I have got my gearbox in pieces and struggling to find a replacement reverse gear and idler.
    I can get a rebuild kit which includes bearings, seals and gaskets.
    I have put this pile of bits to one side to work on other bits and hopefully find replacements before I forget how it all goes back together.
    If anyone has any spares I would be very interested.
    Cheers, Martin.

Re: Marina / Ital gearbox parts.

There are two different reverse gears 21 teeth on the earlier cars and 17 teeth on the later cars that were fitted to a Marina gearbox. As far as I am aware, you only find out what you have got once you have stripped the gearbox down, there are no external indications.
    Rimmer Bros should be able to help, or any other Triumph parts dealer.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Ok thanks Steve,
      I have got 21 teeth on the idler and 33 teeth on the reverse gear.
      Are they interchangeable by using the matching pairs?
      Cheers,

Comment

I don't know the relevant part numbers to verify but might this be part of what you're looking for..?
        Early TR7 used a very similar 4-speed box.
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Thanks for that, asked the seller for dimensions on this idler and hopefully same size. Be able to purchase the rebuild kit then all I will need is the reverse gear then be able to rebuild.
          Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
            Ok thanks Steve,
            I have got 21 teeth on the idler and 33 teeth on the reverse gear.
            Are they interchangeable by using the matching pairs?
            Cheers,
            Answer no the number of teeth are dependent also on the number of teeth on the lay gear(15) for 33 and 21 or 13 on the lay gear for 29 and 17 try this site the reverse gear is actually the synchro hub and costs £173. https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/brit...e-1500.html#32
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

With a donor gearbox purchased for a bargain £10 from eBay and a trip to Exeter to collect and I have got the gearbox rebuilt.
              Swapped the reverse gear, idler and laygear, new seals and gaskets and not forgetting the copper washer in the bell housing. Bit of paint and should be good to go. Selects gears nicely so must have gone back together correctly.

IMG_3609.JPG

Comment

Ok, now I have rebuilt this gearbox ready for fitting I thought it would be a good idea to fill up with ep90 oil and spin it over with the drill on the first motion shaft.
                It was making a bit of noise in first gear (ticking) when the teeth are engaging. I have lifted the lid to inspect and tied it down to the reverse idler that seems to be slightly engaged when in first gear. All the other gears are quiet.
                I have used the 17 teeth idler, 29 teeth hub on the 13 teeth laygear from the donor gearbox and all the other gears are the same between both boxes. The donor gears looked in good condition with no major wear.
                Is this common on these gearboxes? I will try to upload a video and hopefully be able to hear it.
                Last edited by meverett; 12-05-17, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X