Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuild update

Greetings all
    just an update on the rebuild I am doing on the Marlin I aquired a few months ago,
    I got it without engine or gear box and being a Triumph man (HANG THE WITCH) I am going with a highly modified 1500 Triumph engine with an overdrive gearbox,
    currently I have stripped the engine back to clean metal all over, just finished a stage 2 polish and port on the head the cylinders have been scraped out the crank has been reballanced and lightened and I will be running avaition grade bearings.
    I will be including pictures so it can be followed up to running her up.
    will update again soon

Mike
    Darth Vader
    Attached Files

Re: rebuild update

If your rebuilding a 1500 engine watch this :-
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Pretty colours and that's quite some workshop, complete with seating round the workbench.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Well the plan was to go with a Subaru turbo running a blow through system, however doing the maths and research I can probably only run with around 5psi of boost after that BOOM!
        I have invested in aviation grade bearings the crank has been tweeked as far as I dare go, the possition I am in at this point is 5psi is really not worth the extra work so I have aquired a couple of one and three quarter Jagua SU carbs and I am looking at running bigger jets just to squeeze a little more from it.
        Mike
        darth vader

Comment

Rebuild Update
          25/05/17
          20170525_154228.jpg20170525_154233.jpg
          Currently the crank has been dressed all new Aviation grade bearings new cam timing chain all external parts have been blasted and coated to prevent corrosion and stop internal recation between the casting and oil, this in turn prevents oil contaimination and with an painted internal surface the oil flows freely back to the sump.
          I have included a couple of pictures for your viewing and any comments would be welcome.
          all being well I will modify the sump with baffel plates and it sounld not be long befor the top end goes back on.
          Mike
          darth Vader

Comment

Doing the job right ,respect!

Comment

Continued update to the much needed rebuild.
              well greetings again all, I am still awaiting the arrival of the pistons and rings for the engine so made a start on pulling the body apart. I was plesantly supprised to find that some one had plastered a thin layer of underseal on the chassis and as a result it peeled off quite easily so I decided to strip the black paint off as well. I have pulled everything out of the car to make this job a little easier, will have to renew all of the nuts and bolts and fixings due to corrosion.7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg
              currently I have stripped every part and began the very long clean up process, years of grime and paint to remove. the calipers and discs are beyond use so going to upgrade with drilled slotted discs and bigger calipers (probably 4 potters off an MG Metro). I have finally managed to remove the last of the several tonns of silicon that has been plastered everywhere and have started to inject body seal mastic in the gaps and smooth it down to make it look better.
              12.jpg12.jpg14.jpg15.jpg
              will leave it there for now, I plan to get the bottom end of the engine comleted this week if possible and the gearbox shoud be rebuilt by the weekend (again if the parts are deivered)

see ya all
              Darth Vader
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X