Wind deflector friction hinge screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind deflector friction hinge screws

I've got some friction hinges to fit some wind deflectors and I was wondering what length screws others have used to bolt them to the screen frame.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Re: Wind deflector friction hinge screws

I recently put mine back on and found one of the screws would not come out, allen key head 'turned' & had to cut a slot in the head with a slitting blade & get a screwdriver in it & a pair of moles... The screws were all about 12mm / 1/2" long, the actual frame is only maybe 3mm thick. I will replace all mine with hexagonal head screws so I can use a socket on them...

Comment

Cross section screen framelastscan.jpg

be careful where you drill
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hence the question

I was thinking of putting the hinges on the outer surface toward the rear of the frame to avoid drilling into the glass.

Comment

Glad my holes were already there...

Comment

yep, when I did my wing mirrors I cracked the windscreen. it was only then did I find how close the glass was to the frame.

Be very, very, very careful.

Adrian

Comment

Indeed, PO cracked the screen on drivers side. Not too bad YET
              Stumbling around in the dark
              Marina based SWB roadster
              Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

It's not just drilling the holes, even the load applied by a tap screwed in too hard in a correctly drilled hole can induce cracking, just the same as a screw that is too long. It does not have to go through the box, simply apply pressure to the face nearest the screen.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Looking at Ben's sketch I would be drilling into the VOID parallel with the screen, is that still risky?

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                    Looking at Ben's sketch I would be drilling into the VOID parallel with the screen, is that still risky?
                    I was trying to illustrate a three stage process, drill, tap, screw. If each is taken with care and a knowledge it should be OK, but as others have illustrated it's comparatively easy to make mistakes.

Parralell to the screen (I didn't pick that up from your post) should be fine.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Cool, Thanks. I knew there was an opportunity to make up the spare room for Mr Cockup which I why I was asking

Comment

Is there is a void..?
                        My brackets are screwed to the front face of the screen rail & I certainly didn't encounter a void when drilling them...though I didn't go too deep for obvious reasons.

There are at least 3 variations of Roadster screen & 2 or more variations of screen rail...without bodging more holes in it (I've done 2 screen replacements & have no desire for a 3rd) my screen rail looks & feels like solid, milled bar to me.

Happy to be proved wrong but in the end just be careful..!
                        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Fitted the driver's side wind deflector.

20170520_143944.jpg

I must have measured it 15 times before drilling the first hole

Comment

1994 YKC Roadster is a solid MS bar with a milled slot for the windscreen
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Michael Turpin; 20-05-17, 05:31 PM.
                            YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

My frame is solid as well. Just finished fitting the passenger side one so it's all finished now... phew!

Comment

Working...
                              X