New Roadster Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Roadster Hood

This enquiry is on behalf of Ann Brooksby who is trying to find someone who can make a new hood for her Roadster. She has had a quote for £1000 but considers that excessive. Any ideas?

Re: New Roadster Hood

If that's a frame, hood, tonneau and side screens, the full set, it's probably about right.

A trimmer in Swansea did a 10year old modern car for me, just the folding roof, in top quality materials, it cost me £500.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
      This enquiry is on behalf of Ann Brooksby who is trying to find someone who can make a new hood for her Roadster. She has had a quote for £1000 but considers that excessive. Any ideas?
      Where in the country does Ann hail from?

There is a very good hood / upholsterer in South Lincs, who has worked on many classic cars. He charged £450 for my high quality Cabrio hood with sewn in rear window. I would certainly recommend him.

Another MOC member drove his Cabrio up from the South West to have his done having seen what had been provided for my Cabrio, must have been a 500+ mile trip - which speaks for itself.

There is no need to spend £1000 - not even to get a good one.

Comment

£450, was that with or without a frame? If it's without, my £500 figure is about right for a quality install, just a roof and stitched in rear window.

This is apparently a Roadster, unlike a Cabrio, so no windup or framed windows, so a higher cost for side screens, each with a stitched in window and an elbow flap for the driver.

I added a tonneau, just for good measure, my Roadster toneau is used more than the full roof as it's so much quicker, it even has a zip down the centre when I have no passenger and don't mind getting damp! But it all comes at a cost.

Good luck at getting a quality full package as I described earlier at less than a grand.
        If you can get a whole package quote, there are many who would condider it. Maybe a group buy?
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I've emailed Ann asking for more detail on what she actually needs and roughly whereabouts she is in the country. Once I get a reply I'll post the extra detail.

Comment

Ann lives in the Southhampton area and requires the hood and side screens. She already has the hood frame.

Comment

The car is a LWB Marina based Roadster

Ann, if you're reading this, we could do with some pictures of the car for the archive - thank you.

Rgds Dave Cunnington

Comment

Mike, I know South Lincs is some way from Southampton but do you have a name for the hood manufacturer you used?

Comment

Ann could try this firm in Poole http://www.kbaggstrimming.co.uk/
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
                    Mike, I know South Lincs is some way from Southampton but do you have a name for the hood manufacturer you used?
                    Dave Roake : 07958 722301

I am quite happy for Ann to contact Dave and use my name as the introduction.

Dave is not a Marlin officianado, so photos would be useful to identify the difference between a Roadster hood and a Cabrio.
                    I suspect size of the hood has little to no bearing on the final cost: side screens and the quality of the materials used in the hood and for the windows will.

I would certainly recommend Dave's work to anyone. - he has worked on some incredibly valuable motors, and opportunities like that only go to people who are good at what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                      Ann could try this firm in Poole http://www.kbaggstrimming.co.uk/
                      OOOHHH ERRR, looks top quality, top money perhaps.
                      Stumbling around in the dark
                      Marina based SWB roadster
                      Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Thanks Mike, I'll pass the info on to Ann.

Comment

If Ann still wants a hood etc I have an unused black Lang and Potter hood made from Duck and 2 black unused side screens made from Rivenhood. The clear panels still have their protective tissue paper sewn in. It was made for my YKC Roadster but I suspect it is the same dimensions as her Roadster. Sadly there is a small slit in the roof and which would need repairing and I think the best solution to that would be to remove the top panel and stitch back in a new one.

The slit came to life as I was fitting/stretching the hood and sticking it to the cant rail ( I have a spare one of those as well if she is interested).

I would recommend driving here ( I live in the Chilterns about 6 miles north of High Wycombe and about a 1 1/2 hour drive from Southhampton. I am sure Mrs. H can supply copious quantities of tea and bickies while Ann makes sure it is exactly what she wants.

Comment

Well done Keith, that's what the club's all about.

Hopefully it will be what Ann needs.

Adrian

Comment

Thanks Keith, I have forwarded your offer to Ann and will put her in contact with you if she is interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X