Sportster weight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster weight.

Took the Sportster for it's MOT last wednesday (glad to say it passed) and whilst there I asked for the axle weights. As I operate the relevent swiches and controls during the test and the tank was full of fuel at the time, the front was 400kgs and the rear tipped the scales at 510kg. I don't know what a tankful of fuel weighs, but I weigh 77kg approx so my guess, without driver and fuel there is a very nearly 50/50 dry weght.

Re: Sportster weight.

A gallon of petrol weighs between 6 and 6½ lbs. Unleaded that is !!
    Last edited by b_caswell; 27-05-17, 08:37 PM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
      A gallon of petrol weighs between 6 and 6½ lbs. Unleaded that is !!
      Goodness me Ben, you should know we use the metric system in this country. You should have said “Four point five five litres of petrol weighs between 6 and 6½ lbs”. (Smiley face!)
      Paul

Comment

There are quite a few VOSA operateted weigh bridges around, usually combined with commercial vehicle testing centres.

I had had my car weighed at a site next to the A23. Free if I didn't want paperwork and a small charge if I did.

If you have a council waste site nearby, they are equipped with weighbridges, it might be worth asking, you never know!
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I'm fairly sure all Mot stations have to be able to weigh the axles to assess brake efficency.

Comment

Originally posted by copperleaves11 View Post
            I'm fairly sure all Mot stations have to be able to weigh the axles to assess brake efficency.
            Yours didn't! But for a commercial vehicle tester it's a requirement.

I think everything is now recorded by DVLA, almost certainly for modern cars.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Quote: Goodness me Ben, you should know we use the metric system in this country. You should have said “Four point five five litres of petrol weighs between 6 and 6½ lbs”. (Smiley face!)
              Paul

See even you Paul couldnt work out what 6lbs is in kilos(and I cant be bovered)
              The reason we use metric litres for fuel is so you don't realize how much a gallon costs!!

Count down markers on motorways are still in yards

Road signs in miles

and most important beer in pints!!
              Last edited by b_caswell; 28-05-17, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                See even you Paul couldnt work out what 6lbs is in kilos(and I cant be bovered)
                The reason we use metric litres for fuel is so you don't realize how much a gallon costs!!

Count down markers on motorways are still in yards

Road signs in miles

and most important beer in pints!!
                Spirit measures went metric in 1985!
                The Scots were quite happy!
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I think you may find that an Imperial gallon of petrol weighs in at around 7 1/2 lbs or 3.4kg. None of this colonial short measurements for me - you get a fuller measure in the UK.
                  s!

Comment

Originally posted by AdminUser View Post
                    I think you may find that an Imperial gallon of petrol weighs in at around 7 1/2 lbs or 3.4kg. None of this colonial short measurements for me - you get a fuller measure in the UK.
                    s!
                    OH the dreaded US Gallon I wondered why my maths didn't work out.

1 gal imp water weighs 10lbs and the specific gravity of petrol is around point 7 so there you go !

Comment

6LBS is 2.72 Kg for those who cant be....I could not be either so 'googled' conversion charts )

Comment

Ben : those "pint" measures - are they the glass things which always seem to empty very rapidly, and more so as the evening wears on ?

Comment

SG of petrol is 0.73

So every litre weighs .73 of a kilo

Metric does make the maths easier

I still like pints of beer though

Comment

Is a half empty glass heavier than one that's half full.

Comment

Ok so does the Northern beer with its injection of gas to make it frothy weigh less than a pint of traditional non gassy Southern beer like Speckled Hen or Doom-bar( if you like West Country ) or Gales for you Hampshire folks

Comment

Working...
                              X