Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire ain't what it used to be !

Hi,
    Just about to re-wire my electric fan (complete with thermostatic switch) & decided to buy some new 20amp auto-electric wire off ebay. Was surprised how thin it was ! It seemed to compare thickness wise to some 5amp stuff I'd bought say 10 years ago from Halfords. Any ideas if (&how) wire technology has evolved, or have they delivered the wrong stuff ?

Thanks ... Richard
    Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
    Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Re: Wire ain't what it used to be !

Can you post a link to the stuff you bought. It's difficult to comment without.

Comment

My guess is that it will be thin wall cable, which as the name suggests has a much thinner insulation of a higher grade. It is what most auto cables are made of these days. However to be sure we need a link to what you have bought, as said above.

Comment

This is a useful read
        Cable Size Calculator - Read our guide to selecting cable of the correct type and size for your automotive, marine or leisure wiring application. Auto and Marine Electrical Components from 12 Volt Planet
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

As an interesting aside my current fan, a 32 year old Kenlow only seems to draw about 3amps (measured) whereas the Comex fan I've just bought is specified at 7amps!
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi there, looked more closely at the info available on the cable and it's 1.5mm 'thin wall' 20amp. So it does what is says on the tin ! It will be more than adequate for the job. This thin wall stuff is new to me..

I wasn't aware until this that cable size in mm included insulation (you clever lot probably new this already!) .. you learn something new every day !
            Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
            Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Thin wall cable is certainly more flexible but thick wall has much better chafing protection and often better at protecting from heat.
              Thin wall would normally be the choice where the cables are clustered into a loom and not single wires hanging in the open.

Comment

Working...
              X