Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes pulling to one side

G'Day All
    My Marina based YKC roadster has a new problem ,if I am driving for awhile with out using the brakes and I suddenly step on them hard the car pulls hard to the left but hit the brakes again and all is OK it seems only when I have not touched the brakes for several miles that this problem comes up.Thanks for any ideas.

Michael (the Canadian Marlin )

Re: brakes pulling to one side

Assuming you have a Marina based car, the first candidate for steering pulling to une side is the tie rod bushes at the front of the chassis rail. A set of Superflex bushes usually resolves this.
    Alternatively you have a seized caliper piston somewhere. The calipers are Type 14 quite common on old Triumphs and Fords in the UK, and are quite easy to dismantle. Fitting stainless pistons is a good idea.
    Whatever you decide to do, always, on brake, steering, tyres and suspension, do the same work on both sides of the car.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Its possible that the wheel bearings on the right hand side are slack and the brake disc movement is pushing the pads back so when you next press the brakes the pistons on that side have to move further.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Bens comment carries some weight, but the Marina bearing retaining nut should only ever be finger tight. Do not reduce the endfloat below 0.001" the bearings must not be pre-loaded.

It is a common misconception that the bearing retaining nut should be torqued up.

More info https://kvisit.com/Smde-Aw
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Thank you Ben ,Thank you Steve.As the super flex bushes are not available over here and I will have to find a supplier in the UK ,I will look at the bearing first and I think with a 23 year old car I will try to sort out part #s and find a dealer for the super flex bits ASAP
          Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by michael47 View Post
            Thank you Ben ,Thank you Steve.As the super flex bushes are not available over here and I will have to find a supplier in the UK ,I will look at the bearing first and I think with a 23 year old car I will try to sort out part #s and find a dealer for the super flex bits ASAP
            Thanks again
            Superflex, on their website say they will ship world wide. Not cheap though.
            polyurethane bushes, car suspension bushes, uprated car suspension, replacement car suspension bushes, suspension upgrades, polyurethane, bushes, suspension, polyurethane suspension, polyurethane car suspension bushes, suspension bushes, poly, urethane, supplier, distributor, superflex, car, parts, spares, Wells, somerset

if you search superflex on this forum I published a list of all the bushes needed on a Marina based Roadster. http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...ight=Superflex
            Last edited by stevejgreen; 12-06-17, 09:24 AM.
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Thanks Steve

Comment

Evening gents
                going on the description of the fault I have a feeling that one of the brake calipers have started to seize, you can get a situation where a bit of crap has travelled down the brake lines and lodged in the caliper wall added to this is the slight wear in the piston that is not pulling straight so it occasionally sticks causing the vehicle to pull to one side.
                Just thought I would throw my 2 pennt worth in.
                Darth Vader
                Mike

Comment

My guess is that it is not the bushes, since it disappears on the second application of the brakes. I would be tempted to check that there isn't excessive play in the wheel bearing which is pushing the pads back.
                  Sticky calipers are unlikely as they won't retract so much, however an easy test it to check the temperature discs on both sides. If the brakes are sticking on then the guilty side will be much hotter. Don't burn your fingers though!

Comment

Originally posted by michael47 View Post
                    G'Day All
                    My Marina based YKC roadster has a new problem ,if I am driving for awhile with out using the brakes and I suddenly step on them hard the car pulls hard to the left but hit the brakes again and all is OK it seems only when I have not touched the brakes for several miles that this problem comes up.Thanks for any ideas.

Michael (the Canadian Marlin )
                    Did the problem suddenly start? Have you removed the off side front wheel recently? Not sure if the Marina has a screw or washer thing to keep the disc in place but if not and the disc comes loose on the hub then dirt can get down between the location faces and cause a run out of the disc. That would push the off side pads back further and result in more movement before they contact the disc, with initial pulling towards the left, as per your symptoms. Use a dial indicator to check for run out as per workshop manual.

I hear a lot of talk from garages about “warped discs” needing to be replaced. I have never seen one yet but have seen the above problem which I suspect is the real cause. Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                      Did the problem suddenly start? Have you removed the off side front wheel recently? Not sure if the Marina has a screw or washer thing to keep the disc in place but if not and the disc comes loose on the hub then dirt can get down between the location faces and cause a run out of the disc. That would push the off side pads back further and result in more movement before they contact the disc, with initial pulling towards the left, as per your symptoms. Use a dial indicator to check for run out as per workshop manual.

I hear a lot of talk from garages about “warped discs” needing to be replaced. I have never seen one yet but have seen the above problem which I suspect is the real cause. Peter.
                      The Marina disk is bolted to the back of its hub. The bolts boat need undoing unless you are removing a disk. It's doubtful if it has come loose. Ref https://kvisit.com/Sm9e-Aw
                      Warped disks is another matter. It's reported as vibration when braking, usually the problem is identified as being a stuck caliper piston which overheats the brake disk so it feels like it's warped.

Either way, it's an opportunity to examine the suspension and brakes, fitting Superflex bushes as you go, checking that the caliper pistons move freely and there are no loose components.
                      We could be looking at one or a combination of issues. My list on a Marina front end is Tie Rods, Caliper pistons then bearings and finally the dreaded steering rack, not forgetting the condition of the tyres, the only thing between you and the toad.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Hi
                        Do you have single or dual line master cylinder? Do you have a servo / booster?
                        If dual line then I would also take a look at the master cylinder and the routing of the brake pipes.
                        Jon
                        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

dont forget the rear cylinders - they can cause exactly this effect. Rear brakes account for a very small proportion of braking effort overall but if one cylinder sticks (or leaks) then the effect is pronounced with a tug to one side. A quick removal of the rear drums should put your mind at ease.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminUser View Post
                            dont forget the rear cylinders - they can cause exactly this effect. Rear brakes account for a very small proportion of braking effort overall but if one cylinder sticks (or leaks) then the effect is pronounced with a tug to one side. A quick removal of the rear drums should put your mind at ease.
                            The problem at the rear is usually the auto adjusters, they don't! It's unlikely that you would feel a rear brake problem, if the fronts are OK.
                            Leaks you should spot easily.
                            My guess is that this is a dual circuit car due to its age. But that is of little consequence if the tie rod bushes are shot.

But get the front working properly first, that has a direct impact on steering and safety.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Well guys the bushings arrived from the UK 2 days ago so last night I got to work .1st the wheel bearings did need adjusting ,then I installed the new bushings and took the car for a ride and all is good.
                              I guess I should have taken the car for a test after the adjusting the bearings but I was in the garage and it was easier to carry on so i do not know what fixed the problem but the bushings were shot they fell apart in my hands taking them off and the bearings did need adjusting.
                              Thank you All

Michael
                              Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                              The problem at the rear is usually the auto adjusters, they don't! It's unlikely that you would feel a rear brake problem, if the fronts are OK.
                              Leaks you should spot easily.
                              My guess is that this is a dual circuit car due to its age. But that is of little consequence if the tie rod bushes are shot.

But get the front working properly first, that has a direct impact on steering and safety.

Comment

Working...
                              X