Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: YKC Rear Suspension.

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
    I can confirm that Tony is a fully paid up member. I have asked him to send me the pictures. I can't see any problems with his membership or id that would prevent him adding pictures.
    Paul
    Is it true to say that if you look at a forum users profile that all club members should be marked as such?
    That was the reason I posted my remark about members/non members rights, according to his profile Tony is not a mamber as I type this.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

c Bloxwich added 4 new photos. Heres the pictures

18 July at 12:31 · Walsall ·

Moved the car this morning and heard a strange sound from the rear. Take a look a the AVO coil over suspension unit.
      Fortunate it happened on the driveway not on the road.
      After inspection we think that there is a design fault with the suspension that does not allow for the twisting force on the bottom mounting when the axle is not parallel to the car.

LikeShow More Reactions
      CommentShare

4 4

Comments

Steve Raybould Ouch!
      Looks like that's been waiting to go for a while!
      LikeShow More Reactions
      · Reply · 18 July at 12:35
      Manage

Ykc Bloxwich replied · 1 Reply

Adrian Woolcott That's quite scary. As you say, good job you weren't on the road.
      LikeShow More Reactions
      · Reply · 19 July at 08:16
      Manage

Ykc Bloxwich replied · 1 Reply

Michael Turpin do you have the product code (MT MOC)
      LikeShow More Reactions
      · Reply · 19 July at 21:18
      Manage

Ykc Bloxwich Yes thanks, looking now
      LikeShow More Reactions
      · Reply · 19 July at 21:21
      Manage

Write a comment...

See more recent stories

Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Many thanks to Ben for posting the pictures.

Oddly, if I click on the pictures I can now see the original Facebook pictures. As they say in computer companies "There's nothing like computer security".

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
        Is it true to say that if you look at a forum users profile that all club members should be marked as such?
        It is true it should know he is a member. I don't know why it doesn't work for Tony.
        Paul

Comment

In all the shock absorbers I have seen there is a smaller inner metal bush that is longer than the rubber bush and outer ring. It is this inner bush that is clamped between the flanges by the bolt. This allows the rubber bush to flex to give some angular compliance to the shock absorber. It’s difficult to see from the photos but could the outer metal ring have been clamped between the flanges?
          Paul

Comment

Having looked at the YKC build manual it appears that both the upper and lower mounting bolts for the coilover unit run parallel with the de dion tube. On the Cabrio the upper fixing bolt for the shock absorber is at 90 degrees to an imaginary line through the hubs.

Comment

Here are a few pictures copied from Tony’s Facebook page showing the revised set up (copied with his permission).
              Paul

The pictures show:
              With the axle lifted on one side way past normal operation almost up to the new bump stop (top left) The bush in the bottom of the coil; over damper seems able to cope if possibly a little unhappy. You can also see the upper trailing arm very little at the sides for the bush to allow for movement. AVO pf150/100

The old unit on the other side, there is no movement allowed for the only flex is in the bracket welded to the axle. this is why the loop broke of the bottom it had to happen.

New bump stop fitted, axle jacked up , this gives a margin of about 40mm before the wheel would hit the wheel arch.
              The brake pipe is nowhere near the nut.

(Spring not yet adjusted) general view of new safety bump stop. All Makes 4x4 Bump Stop Rear Suspension ANR4189 Made in India. (we can't even make a rubber block glued to a steel plate now)

Tony also states
              :
              YKC Rear Suspension,
              Looking at the complete setup I can't see how the trailing arms allow for the twisting action that results when the axle is not parallel to the car, the axle, fixings and trailing arms are in effect a torsion bar. and any weak point is going to fail.
              Because of the metal to metal contact at each side of the rubber bushes, the bushes cannot absorb this force. Update, There is some small clearance between the metal bush carrier and the supports, this allows for some small amount of movement but it's not ideal, some serious modifications on the drawing board.

Been out in the car today and the ride is so smooth, need to adjust the ride height up a little but what a difference, can't wait to sort out the trailing arms.

Rear suspension seems much improved, will start investigating design changes to trailing arms, top hat bushes on the chassis end for isolation and spherical bushes (rose joints) on the axle end. Hopefully the suspension will be improved and safer too. Thanks Dale Bladen for his professional guidance and advice
              Attached Files

Comment

I look forward to seeing the appropriate part numbers and suppliers
                YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Working...
                X