Ignition module wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition module wanted

Has anyone got a spare ignition module for a Ford Sierra GLS 2.0 efi DOHC that they can sell me (or can lend me to see if mine is definitely on the blink}.

Everything is fine until the engine gets hot then it coughs and splutters every time I put my foot down. Tickover seems fine but as soon as I try to put any load on the engine it starts spluttering again'.

Any ideas or similar problems

Re: Ignition module wanted

Could be the coil breaking down when it get hot. If you are local to south Somerset I have 2 coils in my shed gathering dust and you are welcome to have one.

Comment

I have a brand new ign module, this is what it looks like...

s-l225.jpg

If you want it let me know and I will pop it in the post?

Comment

Hi Adminuser,

I have sent you a PM with my contact details.

Comment

Sounds more like a fuel pump delivery problem, ticks over nice but give it the gun and no dice. If any one experienced the old days on a motor bike with blocked jets they would recognise the symptoms straight away as fuel starvation.
          Phil.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Chris - I have been loaned a spare and will be trying it out tonight. I have thought of a somewhat bizarre approach to tracking down the failing part. I have bought some liquid nitrogen wart remover from Boots and I will run the car until it fails then, one by one I will I will spray the various sensors until it comes back to the land of the living. Fingers crossed !!

Comment

Have you tried the TPS simple check and it does the same thing it signals to the ECU that the engine requires more fuel or the airflow meter will do the same if it failed, but the favorite is the crank sensor for doing this as well
              Last edited by peterboat; 25-07-17, 10:54 AM.

Comment

What is the TPS simple test?

Well, good news and bad news regarding the liquid nitrogen. It worked in that the engine stopped spluttering . dying out but the bad news is I was so anxious to see if it woulld work that I I didn't wait long enough and sprayed to soon. I was concious of not spraying too much in one spot and destroying things and I couldn't control the delivery. In the end I had sprayed:
                the ignition control module
                the coil
                the MAP
                and 4 sensors along the top of the manifold

Comment

Originally posted by keith_h View Post
                  What is the TPS simple test?

Well, good news and bad news regarding the liquid nitrogen. It worked in that the engine stopped spluttering . dying out but the bad news is I was so anxious to see if it woulld work that I I didn't wait long enough and sprayed to soon. I was concious of not spraying too much in one spot and destroying things and I couldn't control the delivery. In the end I had sprayed:
                  the ignition control module
                  the coil
                  the MAP
                  and 4 sensors along the top of the manifold
                  Ignition on check which wire is voltage in and which is voltage out connect test meter up to voltage out and earth then operate throttle, it should go between either 0 -5 volts or sometimes its 5 - 0 volts over the years of gas conversions I have seen a few that are just switches however they were very early stuff in fuel injection terms

Comment

Hi Cameron,

I fitted the unit you sent and all happened was the starter spun the engine but but no firing whatsoever. Do you happen to know what the internal wiring on them is. s

(I trust you had a good holiday

Keith

Comment

Hi Keith, sorry for the delay in replying. No idea what the wiring is apart from what is in the Haynes Manual. I picked this one up NOS for spares for the Pinto Berli I am working on which has the electronic ign system fitted.
                      If there is no spark then maybe this is the wrong module for your car? The ref number was FORD: 6109051, 83BB12A199B3A iirc. I would be surprised if yours was different but a trawl around the web shows up and alternative (?) marked 15300 - which may or may not be the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X