Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another up-date on the rebuild

Good evening all
    all seems to be going well with the rebuild, I am currently setting up the wiring harness all of the front suspenssion is in the radiator is ready to be mounted.
    I have decided to move the location of the battery in to the back of the car as I intend to make some sort of boot space in the very near future, the old battery space
    now been converted to a small storage box so I can carry emergency break down parts such as plugs point and odds and sods.

I came across a small problem after the engine was fitted and the steering shaft was in place, there is no room for an air box so I have had to build a custom plenumb chamber to feed air to the carbs. I have included some pictures and the sketches if it is any use to anyone who is building a car with a Triumph engine in.20170717_211606.jpg20170721_214028.jpg20170721_214036.jpg20170721_214053.jpg20170722_140406.jpg20170722_154009.jpg20170722_165831.jpg20170722_190927.jpg20170722_195201.jpg

At the moment I am deciding if I should keep the box as polished alloy or spray it either gloss black or metalic blue to match the engine.
    comments welcome

Darth Vader
    Mike

Re: another up-date on the rebuild

Hello Mike,

looks all very good and i think, i would do it gloss black so there is a nice effect between carburettor and the crome cooler;

Best Regards
    Stefan64

Comment

Nice bit of fabrication. Another vote for gloss black.

Comment

Me too

Comment

A vote here for polishing it.
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Nah! Black is for chassis, suspension and dirty bits! Blue for the magnificent engine job and keep the nice plenum alloy to match the carbs!

If you use very fine scotchbrite with a bit of paraffin on alloy, using a circular polishing motion and then don't polish it but rinse it off with white spirit you will get a nice semi matt finish. Then spray a coat of Halford clear lacquer to preserve the effect .

I have used that technique on bike brake levers in the past. Simples! Peter.

Comment

Peter

Thinking about KEX, is that the best idea for bonnet sides, bonnet, and doors ? I wonder if it will have a uniform look over the whole panel ?

How long does the lacquered finish last ?

Sorry Mike, I don't mean to hijack your thread Rgds DC

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                Peter

Thinking about KEX, is that the best idea for bonnet sides, bonnet, and doors ? I wonder if it will have a uniform look over the whole panel ?

How long does the lacquered finish last ?

Sorry Mike, I don't mean to hijack your thread Rgds DC
                I'd be interested to know as well
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

What is KEX?

Comment

The next one, KEX 39N, you obviously missed the thread I started :

Here you can keep up to date and help support club members who are currently building or renovating their cars.

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                      Peter Thinking about KEX, is that the best idea for bonnet sides, bonnet, and doors ? I wonder if it will have a uniform look over the whole panel ? How long does the lacquered finish last ? Sorry Mike, I don't mean to hijack your thread Rgds DC
                      Ah yes the new project! The clear lacquer that I used on my bike lasted well out in all weathers, as it was a cellulose aerosol after all so similar to body paint. I think the matt finish of the scotchbrite gave the lacquer a good key as without primer you would perhaps expect it to flake off. It was not on a large area like a body panel but the scotchbrite application would need to be consistent to get a good finish. Why not try a test piece and see what it looks like? Peter.

Comment

Thanks Peter, I think a large area trial is the only way as consistency may be difficult....or maybe I'll just leave it as is and go for the "patina" look
                        Rgds DC

Comment

One of the members of my local Kit Car Club who lives near Salisbury, has a car with a stainless body and he did uniform swirls on it and it certainly looks good. I know aluminium is softer and as Peter says needs a lacquer to protect it. David.

Comment

Working...
                          X