Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another update

greetings all
    well started work on the dash board, but not sure about it really considering making another.
    as you all well know space is of a premium and I am trying to shoe horn some sort of glove box for some limited storage, I am now thinking of leaving out the cutout
    curve at the bottom of the dash to give me a little more room I am also considering making it an angled dash to follow the contour of the top deck, any sugestions on dash
    design would be a great help.
    Darth vader
    Mike1.jpg2.jpg

Re: another update

hiya the depth of the dashboard and the size of the steering wheel look like it might hamper getting in and out of the car.

I would say goodbye to the glove compartment, I have, as I never used it anyway and utilise the space for other things such as diales and have put the windscreen wiper motor behind where you have your glove box to free up space on the bulkhead.

I would also lose around an inch on the depth of the dashboard.

Only my opinion, others will have a different idea.

Adrian
    Last edited by listerjp2; 14-08-17, 02:29 PM.

Comment

utilising the marina diales

20160604_111827.jpg
      Last edited by listerjp2; 14-08-17, 04:46 PM.

Comment

can anyone see the attachment?

Comment

I can't see it - invalid attachement ? ? ?

Mike FWIW
          1 I've uploaded many Roadster dash pics into a gallery on this site, may give you some ideas
          2 As lister says that big wheel may impede getting in and out. KEX has longer seat squabs and a big wheel, makes it more difficult cos you can't get your feet under you(see pic)
          3 Keeping it where it is makes sense to me, maybe you could trim a bit off the bottom
          4 You may need the arced cutout to clear the gear lever NB KEX gear lever is on a custom made extension and further back
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dcunn; 14-08-17, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
            can anyone see the attachment?
            Not showing for me. The link brings up an "invalid attachment" announcement.

Comment

have a look now

adrian

Comment

Yes, that's fine now
                Rgds DC

Comment

Nice looking dash,
                  my problem is I have a habit of wanting to monitor all engine parameters so I do tend to clutter the dash.
                  darth vader
                  mike

Comment

Darth Vader lovely dash but can you see the speedometer at 30MPH or don't you go that slow?

Comment

to be honest
                      road speed dont float my boat now my main employment is senior lecturer in motor vehicle however my previous work was flying so I could never get the same thrill on the ground as I do in the air.
                      as long as the car gets me to where I want to go in one piece and with exploding beneath me I will be more than happy.
                      Darth Vader
                      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                        I can't see it - invalid attachement ? ? ?

Mike FWIW
                        1 I've uploaded many Roadster dash pics into a gallery on this site, may give you some ideas
                        2 As lister says that big wheel may impede getting in and out. KEX has longer seat squabs and a big wheel, makes it more difficult cos you can't get your feet under you(see pic)
                        3 Keeping it where it is makes sense to me, maybe you could trim a bit off the bottom
                        4 You may need the arced cutout to clear the gear lever NB KEX gear lever is on a custom made extension and further back
                        When you say custom made extension is that on a type 9 or on a Marina/ MGB gearbox?

Adrian

Comment

HHmmm, here are pics, and just now I've checked the files that came with the car to find literature from
                          Hi Gear Engineering of Mickleover Derby about a 5 speed gearbox conversion for MG ZA/ZB

The doc also says the MGB can be accommodated and also mentions availability for a Type 9 box

The pics are from the mid 1990s - I thought it was just a gear lever extension, I really must get the car out to check if it is a 5 speed !

Gear lever has the standard knob, so no clue there

I've only done less than ten gentle miles in it, be great if indeed it does have 5 speeds
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by dcunn; 18-08-17, 07:31 AM.

Comment

It looks very much like a cut and shut to me.

I will look into it further over the weekend as I do have a spare marina box to play with.

Question now is do I use the spare I was saving just in case to see if I can get this to work?

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                              HHmmm, here are pics, and just now I've checked the files that came with the car to find literature from
                              Hi Gear Engineering of Mickleover Derby about a 5 speed gearbox conversion for MG ZA/ZB

The doc also says the MGB can be accommodated and also mentions availability for a Type 9 box

The pics are from the mid 1990s - I thought it was just a gear lever extension, I really must get the car out to check if it is a 5 speed !

Gear lever has the standard knob, so no clue there

I've only done less than ten gentle miles in it, be great if indeed it does have 5 speeds
                              It looks vert much Marina/Triumph, not Ford. So it's going to be a four speed.

I like the extension idea, not seen that before. Maybe there is a market for it, but it would require machining a standard box, but there are plenty of them around with knackered gearsets to experiment on.
                              MOC member since 05/97
                              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
                              X