Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: another update

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: another update 
    Club Member
    to be honest
    road speed dont float my boat now my main employment is senior lecturer in motor vehicle however my previous work was flying so I could never get the same thrill on the ground as I do in the air.
    as long as the car gets me to where I want to go in one piece and with exploding beneath me I will be more than happy.
    Darth Vader
    Mike

2. #12 Re: another update 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcunn View Post
    I can't see it - invalid attachement ? ? ?

Mike FWIW
    1 I've uploaded many Roadster dash pics into a gallery on this site, may give you some ideas
    2 As lister says that big wheel may impede getting in and out. KEX has longer seat squabs and a big wheel, makes it more difficult cos you can't get your feet under you(see pic)
    3 Keeping it where it is makes sense to me, maybe you could trim a bit off the bottom
    4 You may need the arced cutout to clear the gear lever NB KEX gear lever is on a custom made extension and further back
    When you say custom made extension is that on a type 9 or on a Marina/ MGB gearbox?

Adrian

3. #13 Re: another update 
    HHmmm, here are pics, and just now I've checked the files that came with the car to find literature from
    Hi Gear Engineering of Mickleover Derby about a 5 speed gearbox conversion for MG ZA/ZB

The doc also says the MGB can be accommodated and also mentions availability for a Type 9 box

The pics are from the mid 1990s - I thought it was just a gear lever extension, I really must get the car out to check if it is a 5 speed !

Gear lever has the standard knob, so no clue there

I've only done less than ten gentle miles in it, be great if indeed it does have 5 speeds
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dcunn; 18-08-2017 at 07:31 AM.

4. #14 Re: another update 
    It looks very much like a cut and shut to me.

I will look into it further over the weekend as I do have a spare marina box to play with.

Question now is do I use the spare I was saving just in case to see if I can get this to work?

Adrian

5. #15 Re: another update 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcunn View Post
    HHmmm, here are pics, and just now I've checked the files that came with the car to find literature from
    Hi Gear Engineering of Mickleover Derby about a 5 speed gearbox conversion for MG ZA/ZB

The doc also says the MGB can be accommodated and also mentions availability for a Type 9 box

The pics are from the mid 1990s - I thought it was just a gear lever extension, I really must get the car out to check if it is a 5 speed !

Gear lever has the standard knob, so no clue there

I've only done less than ten gentle miles in it, be great if indeed it does have 5 speeds
    It looks vert much Marina/Triumph, not Ford. So it's going to be a four speed.

I like the extension idea, not seen that before. Maybe there is a market for it, but it would require machining a standard box, but there are plenty of them around with knackered gearsets to experiment on.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

6. #16 Re: another update 
    Moderator Club Member
    Mick Clamp here in Derby did something similar to his 'B' series Roadster.

7. #17 Re: another update 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    That is a very neat job. I did something similar on a ford box 20 yrs ago then found that the propshaft which was away being shortened was too big in diameter to fit under the gear lever (it was the same diameter as the flange) So I binned it and did the conventional extension.

8. #18 Re: another update 
    OK I have spoken to a good friend of mine and with his help we are going to use my spare gearbox to make up a prototype.

if all goes well I will report back on my success or otherwise.

it maybe of some use to others.

Adrian

9. #19 Re: another update 
    A few miles yesterday confirmed it is a 4 speed box - something like 3750 rpm at 60 mph in 4th - however a much nicer gear change action than the standard !
    It still needs patience or a double declutch 3rd to 2nd, but that's the innards, not the change.

Good luck Adrian, hope the literature and bigger pics help

DC

10. #20 Re: another update 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    That looks interesting, I am going to try that as well. Just had a look at my spare 4 speed gearbox extension and it looks like two will be required to make the extended version.
    The housing between the propshaft flange and the gear selector will need to be cut and if two extensions were used then the second could be sacrificed to ensure the housing wall thickness is still there on both parts. I had better look out for another.
    Last edited by meverett; 24-08-2017 at 07:28 PM.