another update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: another update

Mick Clamp here in Derby did something similar to his 'B' series Roadster.

Comment

That is a very neat job. I did something similar on a ford box 20 yrs ago then found that the propshaft which was away being shortened was too big in diameter to fit under the gear lever (it was the same diameter as the flange) So I binned it and did the conventional extension.

Comment

OK I have spoken to a good friend of mine and with his help we are going to use my spare gearbox to make up a prototype.

if all goes well I will report back on my success or otherwise.

it maybe of some use to others.

Adrian

Comment

A few miles yesterday confirmed it is a 4 speed box - something like 3750 rpm at 60 mph in 4th - however a much nicer gear change action than the standard !
          It still needs patience or a double declutch 3rd to 2nd, but that's the innards, not the change.

Good luck Adrian, hope the literature and bigger pics help

DC

Comment

That looks interesting, I am going to try that as well. Just had a look at my spare 4 speed gearbox extension and it looks like two will be required to make the extended version.
            The housing between the propshaft flange and the gear selector will need to be cut and if two extensions were used then the second could be sacrificed to ensure the housing wall thickness is still there on both parts. I had better look out for another.
            Last edited by meverett; 24-08-17, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Adrian, have you had chance to fabricate the gearchange extension?
              Due to the bank holiday weekend weather I have not had chance to get out to the garage but my plan is to sacrifice my spare extension to remove the gear selector casing and bar then fabricated the extension brackets before I decide whether to chance it on my gearbox that's already bolted to the engine before it goes in the car.

Comment

unfortunately not was away over the bank holiday so will have a go this weekend coming. I have a friend who is going to assist.

I will let everyone know how I get on.

If you get yours done before me let me know how you get on.

adrian

Originally posted by meverett View Post
                Due to the bank holiday weekend weather I have not had chance to get out to the garage but my plan is to sacrifice my spare extension to remove the gear selector casing and bar then fabricated the extension brackets before I decide whether to chance it on my gearbox that's already bolted to the engine before it goes in the car.

Comment

Only issue I have is how the selector is fixed to the extension bracket.

Any thoughts?

Adrian

Comment

I had the same thoughts when inspecting mine. I think there is enough room inside to take a couple of bolt heads. When the gear selector housing is removed I was going to drill each side of the selector bar to mount to the extension.

Comment

Just bought a gearbox tail end complete off eBay so won't even have to sacrifice my spare gearbox.

Obviously this will delay proceedings until it is delivered.

Keep in touch and let me know if you are ahead of me and any progress.

Adrian

I had the same thoughts when inspecting mine. I think there is enough room inside to take a couple of bolt heads. When the gear selector housing is removed I was going to drill each side of the selector bar to mount to the extension.

Comment

How much did you buy the extension on eBay for?

I have separated the selector housing and cleaned it all up.

IMG_4018.JPG
                        IMG_4019.JPG

Unfortunately had to sacrifice the rest of the casing to maintain the wall thickness in the selector housing.

IMG_4020.JPG

Next will be to make the mounting frame before I decide to use it or not on my gearbox before putting it and the engine in.
                        Last edited by meverett; 30-08-17, 07:46 PM.

Comment

hiya looks like you are ploughing ahead, good work.

I paid £40.

Adrian

Comment

Hi Adrian, I want to sort this so I can get the engine and gearbox in the car, it is ready to go in now but after reading the start of this thread it gave me the idea so decided to postpone it.
                            There are a couple of gearboxes on eBay at the moment but collection only which is one of my issues living in Cornwall, you have to put the miles in to get anywhere.
                            I have to find some aluminium to build the frame next so better look in the metal skip at work tomorrow.

Comment

will aluminium be strong enough?

I was thinking of steel.

adrian

Comment

I think so as it will be mounted using a U bolt around the main casing and bolted to the inspection lid, hopefully like in DCs pics.
                                My concern is the selector is slightly off centre on the original extension and to extend it takes the gearchange into the narrower part of the tunnel so will have to make sure it doesn't catch on it and rattle.

Comment

Working...
                                X