Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have decided to finaly start work on the part built kit I bought many years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I have decided to finaly start work on the part built kit I bought many years ago

Been through the same sort of dilemmas myself.
    Fully understand that dreams change.
    Nobody can argue with that. An Alfa GTV is on my list too.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Re: I have decided to finaly start work on the part built kit I bought many years ago

Hi Phil,
      Where was the car show and auction? Would like to have gone myself.
      Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Hello Martin,
        It was at Wadebridge show ground, I only found out about it from classic car weekly, the only kit car there for sale was a jago jeep. About 20 cars, 20 motor bikes and some spares & books about 220 lots in all. On good friday there was an auto jumble at dutchy college.

Cheers

Phil

Comment

Ahh, I missed an auto jumble as well. I am kicking myself now.
          I think in May there is a Classic Mini fest at Pentewan sands, we went last year as it was lovely weather and nice to see so many classics in one place, there were a few stalls for auto jumble too. That is ideal for us as it’s just down the road and we park half way and ride the bikes down the valley trail.

Comment

Just checked the Royal Cornwall Showground website and there is a classic car show 15th July.

Comment

Been there twice, excellent show. Hugh

Comment

Hello Steve,
                I have not given up on the marlin, the condition of the Alfa which has a current mot, means that even if I have to change the engine I should be able to get it usable in a few weeks and then get back to the marlin, also Hilary can see this one getting finished sooner and will push me to get this one going. A couple of days going over it have resolved a few problems 1/ valve variator solonoid and control valve seized up which probably stopped oil going to the to the 2/ valve variator which seems to be the source of most and hopefully all of the rattles. As the car has only done 77.000 miles is probably the original variator, the cambelt was changed 4 years ago and even though it has only done 10.000 miles needs changing as its recomended every 3 years. I took off the alternator belt and pulley and ran the engine to make sure the pulley was ok ( rubber insert ). 3/ I then found that the raised lip on the cambelt pulley behind that the alternator goes over has half the lip missing.
                Plan of action.
                Possible that a friend may be able to swap my pulley for one on a engine that will not be fired up again, if not new can be had for about £55.00 or buy a complete engine that has come out of a scrap car £100.00 upwards (this would also give me a spare engine if the original has more problems than I think).
                Today I have ordered the following cambelt kit, balance shaft kit, water pump, variator and cam shaft locking tool, add oil and filter it comes to £370.00. I intend to fit this to the current engine in the hope that this fixes the problems, if not these will be taken off and fitted on a replacement engine.

So if anyone knows of a alfa twinspark engine in good condition going cheep within 150 miles of Cornwall, could they please let me know just in case.

There will be other jobs once I get this far, rear brake pads from a distant look and new rubber dust covers on the rear suspension links, passenger elec window so far after a quick look.

Thanks for reading this cheers

phil
                Last edited by phild; 06-04-18, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X