Historic vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic vehicle

My roadster has been off the road for 4yrs. Took it for a MOT on Thurs., passed, went to the PO on Fri. to tax and send off for its tax class to goto Historic vehicle.
    Just checked on line now ALL DONE. YIPPEEEE!
    Now to get some miles in.
    Attached Files

Re: Historic vehicle

Great news Hugh. Enjoy the summer - or what's left of it

Hope all is well woith you. Best Wishes DC

Comment

Thanks David. A bit of tlc to do but other than four new tyres it has survived well. Just got to set up the carbs now and take it for a good run.

Comment

This post prompted me to check if my Roadster was eligable for historic road tax.
        I went on the DVLA site and it says if it was first registered OR the build date was before 7 Jan 1977 it will be, so I rung DVLA where the very nice lady answered straight away and said sorry, but as the registration date and build date were different it wasn't eligable. She pointed out that her info sheet she had in front of her says 'first registered AND build date'.
        I referred her to the DVLA web site and the word OR and off she went for advice, and I'm chuffed to announce mines eligable for historic road tax and probably a refund as well!
        Log book now in the post and lets see what happens.
        With £100 insurance and just an MOT, this is really cheap motoring. Yay!!!
        Gareth.

Comment

Well done, it's nice to tell them their own rules.

Comment

Is this a daft question, but how do you prove your build date? Or do dvla have the build date on record?

Comment

They had it Angus, but it had to have the equivalent of the IVA test back then which is recorded. Somewhere I've got a document from the police stating it was ok to go on the road.
              Mine was 1st reg in 1976 as the doner car and built in 1989 as kit car.
              Gareth.

Comment

Thanks Gareth, that answers my question my berly was registered in 1979 so still a couple of years to wait if they keep the rolling tax empention going. Congratulations on your cars historic status it will certainly buy you a few miles in fuel! It must make your car worth more as well but watching Marlins come and go on eBay it seems to not make much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth View Post
                  This post prompted me to check if my Roadster was eligable for historic road tax.
                  I went on the DVLA site and it says if it was first registered OR the build date was before 7 Jan 1977 it will be, so I rung DVLA where the very nice lady answered straight away and said sorry, but as the registration date and build date were different it wasn't eligable. She pointed out that her info sheet she had in front of her says 'first registered AND build date'.
                  I referred her to the DVLA web site and the word OR and off she went for advice, and I'm chuffed to announce mines eligable for historic road tax and probably a refund as well!
                  Log book now in the post and lets see what happens.
                  With £100 insurance and just an MOT, this is really cheap motoring. Yay!!!
                  Gareth.
                  It's official! Finally got the log book ( V5c ) back off the DVLA and the Roadster's now classed as historic, just like me, as the wife says, but younger! Yay!
                  Gareth.

Comment

Nice one Gareth

Comment

Hi,
                      Not wishing to "diss" any of this, BUT, as the club knows the manufacture dates for all these kits ,,,,,, how is it possible (really and trullyo) to have a kit registered as 1976 when, as we all know the first kit wasn,t produced and sold until 1979 ish?

Comment

I think its all down to mixed practice back in the day by the powers that be - how many roadsters had Q plates and how many were allowed to keep their original plate? Made no sense then and doesn't now - should owners take advantage? Of course!

Comment

It all depended on the local DVLA office's interpretation of the rules and before 1998 when SVA was introduced some offices allowed the 8 point rule. Which allowed the car to keep its donor details.
                          5 for the chassis
                          2 for suspension
                          2 for axles
                          2 for transmission
                          2 for Steering assembly
                          1 for the engine
                          Also it seems that when the SVA was introduced there was an amnesty on cars still registered on their donors identity, these cars had to be inspected and the V5 amended but allowed keep the original registration.
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Gareth are you still there? - presumably 1976 is the manufacture date of your donor car. How did you get the manufacturer changed to Marlin?
                            I've got a 1977 marina-based roadster, assembled and given a Q plate in 1986. I do still have the V5 for the Marina and it still shows on the DVLA site.
                            Do you know if I cam just send the V5 off to DVLA to change it to a Marlin?

Comment

Andy, email me (details are in Pitstop) to talk about it
                              Rgds Dave Cunnington

Comment

Working...
                              X