Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance for a 22 year old named driver ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for a 22 year old named driver ?

Hi there,
    I'd like my 22 year old son to be able to drive my 1200cc Roadster on an occasional basis. Unfortunately last year it wasn't economical for what would be only a few drives .. a £100 premium rose to £350.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the insurance companies who may be more reasonable ? Several I spoke to wouldn't even let him be on the policy at any price until he was 25.

Thanks ..
    Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
    Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Re: Insurance for a 22 year old named driver ?

Originally posted by 928cdu View Post
    Hi there,
    I'd like my 22 year old son to be able to drive my 1200cc Roadster on an occasional basis. Unfortunately last year it wasn't economical for what would be only a few drives .. a £100 premium rose to £350.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the insurance companies who may be more reasonable ? Several I spoke to wouldn't even let him be on the policy at any price until he was 25.

Thanks ..
    I made a similar enquiry this year for my 23 yr old son for an 1800cc Roadster - £91 up to £800......

Comment

I am sure I will be corrected if wrong but...... As I understand it if your son has his own car then he will probably (depends on policy) be insured to drive any other car not owned by him on a 3rd party basis. Therefore in teh eyes of the law he is insured. if he crashes the 3rd parties will be covered you will just have to take your Marlin fix out of his pocket money.

Comment

Shhhh! keep that quiet otherwise my son will be out in the Marlin tomorrow
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Alan c View Post
          I am sure I will be corrected if wrong but...... As I understand it if your son has his own car then he will probably (depends on policy) be insured to drive any other car not owned by him on a 3rd party basis. Therefore in teh eyes of the law he is insured. if he crashes the 3rd parties will be covered you will just have to take your Marlin fix out of his pocket money.
          Mmmmmm, my 23 year old son does not have the cover to drive other vehicles on a 3rd party basis. I think this is still an age thing.
          Stumbling around in the dark
          Marina based SWB roadster
          Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Thanks for the answers, I have investigated the third party route and he needs to be 25 before the current insurers will give him that ability. So only three years to go !
            Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
            Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Here in Spain there is a bit of a workaround to get your first car insured.
              It helps to buy a moped and get it insured initially as a named rider for around €300 total, simply to get your licence ratified, take your bike test as soon as possible, even if you don't plan to ride a bike, then we have multiple small capacity micro cars that like an old reliant can be driven on a bike licence, but they are about as slow as a moped and have no 'cool' status, but you can take your car driving test in one.

So kids can accumulate an insurance history at a comparatively young age, making their first real car comparatively economic to insure.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
              X