Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Roadster Lives

Dear All,

Having inherited my late fathers somewhat neglected and unfinished Roadster some time ago, I had a choice whether to scrap it, sell it or do something with it. After about 3 years, with everything from the engine and suspension to the instrument switches being replaced, restored, repainted or rewired, it is finally in some sort of order.

Everything is pretty much as close to the original spec as possible (except such modern day inventions such as electronic ignition and a radiator that works !) but it lives to fight another day !

rsz_067.jpg

rsz_070.jpg

rsz_072.jpg

rsz_073.jpg

Re: Another Roadster Lives

It looks lovely, well done on an excellent restoration. What's the spec? What radiator did you use?
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Looking good a credit to to you and your dad.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

IT looks great I wish you many happy miles of motoring in the future

Comment

An excellent job, many happy miles to you

Comment

Superb job. Another request for more photos: dash/ interior, engine bay etc.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
              It looks lovely, well done on an excellent restoration. What's the spec? What radiator did you use?
              Hi Andy, thanks for that.

Spec in brief;

Usual 'B' Series upgrades, fast road cam, balanced and lightened flywheel, flowed etc.
              New HS4 carbs. (budget blown already).
              Aldon Automotive electronic ignition
              Pertronix Flamethrower coil and leads.
              Facet fuel pump and a fuel regulator.
              (Was there ever a budget ?!?)
              Radiator - sourced from Car Builder Solutions, it is narrow enough to fit between the chassis rails, so I could mount it a couple of inches lower and further back than the original. This left plenty of space for electric fan. I also fitted manual thermostat.
              New brake calipers.
              Paint.
              Starter motor, solenoid and alternator.
              (Re-mortgage and divorce looming, not necessarily in that order).
              And then all the other millions of bits required to finish the job, switch gear, lights, wheel studs, wiper arms and blades, washer bottle, relays, fuse box etc etc etc.
              Last but not least a complete re-wire - as electrics is not my strong point, a company called Vehicle Technology Solutions based in Sevenoaks started at the front, and rewired the car right through, creating a new loom as he went (and stripping out all the unnecessary wiring and connectors), so not a connector block, scotchlok or unsoldered joint in the car - worth every penny. He also fitted an immobilizer.
              Has original double duck hood and tonneau which thankfully didn't need any work.

And there you have it.

Single, homeless, penniless, but the Roadster lives on !

Will post some pics of engine bay, rad and interior when I get a minute.

Comment

What a fabulous job you have made of restoring your father's Roadster- I'm sure he would be chuffed to bits - hope you plan to come and show it off at Stoneleigh next year?

Mike

Originally posted by stormy4447 View Post
                Hi Andy, thanks for that.

Spec in brief;

Usual 'B' Series upgrades, fast road cam, balanced and lightened flywheel, flowed etc.
                New HS4 carbs. (budget blown already).
                Aldon Automotive electronic ignition
                Pertronix Flamethrower coil and leads.
                Facet fuel pump and a fuel regulator.
                (Was there ever a budget ?!?)
                Radiator - sourced from Car Builder Solutions, it is narrow enough to fit between the chassis rails, so I could mount it a couple of inches lower and further back than the original. This left plenty of space for electric fan. I also fitted manual thermostat.
                New brake calipers.
                Paint.
                Starter motor, solenoid and alternator.
                (Re-mortgage and divorce looming, not necessarily in that order).
                And then all the other millions of bits required to finish the job, switch gear, lights, wheel studs, wiper arms and blades, washer bottle, relays, fuse box etc etc etc.
                Last but not least a complete re-wire - as electrics is not my strong point, a company called Vehicle Technology Solutions based in Sevenoaks started at the front, and rewired the car right through, creating a new loom as he went (and stripping out all the unnecessary wiring and connectors), so not a connector block, scotchlok or unsoldered joint in the car - worth every penny. He also fitted an immobilizer.
                Has original double duck hood and tonneau which thankfully didn't need any work.

And there you have it.

Single, homeless, penniless, but the Roadster lives on !

Will post some pics of engine bay, rad and interior when I get a minute.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your kind comments, and yes, definitely intend coming to Stoneleigh next year !!

Comment

That's an amazing build, when I see cars like this it pushes me on to do better on mine, which looks similar in fact!
                    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Lovely condition - it looks how I want mine TO look when I eventually finish it next Spring, beautiful paintwork! What engine have you got in it?

Comment

WOW!!!!
                        Stumbling around in the dark
                        Marina based SWB roadster
                        Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Brilliant. You should be well chuffed!
                          Gareth.

Comment

Hi David, thanks for your comments - yours looks fabulous (especially like the colour !). Very satisfying to see so many posts about the car (after 3 years of blood, sweat and tears) - many nights thinking 'I must be mad, just buy a Fiesta', but comments such as yours make it all worthwhile, many thanks.

Comment

Hi, its the original 1.8 TC Marina engine, although it has been bored to 1840 with the mods mentioned before. Wanted to keep it as close to the original (and how my Father built it) as I could, but a few things had to change !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X