New Gearbox lever thread - revised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Gearbox lever thread - revised

In the unpainted one I did wonder about the distances from the bottom pivot to the extension pivot , but I see on the painted one you moved the pivot down, lovely job! Life keeps getting in the way of mine. Got to earn brownie points.

Comment

Thanks for that. On the new gear lever I extended the thread so as to lower it and on the gearbox end I had to remake as knob head here welded the bracket on the wrong way round so I took the opportunity to extend it slightly to keep the pivot points around the same height. Works well and as in Adrian’s post I will be looking at the reverse gate at some point when I find a suitable spring.
      It would be interesting to see other ideas to overcome this.

Comment

Lets try to load pictures
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello, I lost the words. Picture one is the final gear linkage with moved handbrake and showing how I used the track rod end. Next is theMk3support for the track rod end . In the last shot it shows the original handbrake position which fouled the gearbox lever in reverse. The reverse detent is thanks to Lister JP cheers Adrian it works a treat. The fittings I used came from my 'come in' box.

Comment

Yet another resolution to an age old problem.

Very neat.

Thanks for the mention re the reverse detent.

God I love it when it gets technical.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Adrian

Comment

Cheers Adrian. This age old problem seemed to be an 'elephant in the room' when I first mentioned it on the forum. I am a reasonably average size but reaching the gear lever was a pain. So I extended he gear lever to where I could reach it. It worked but did not look very pretty. It has taken me nearly year to sort this, life kept getting in the way. But thanks to ideas from the forum and the experience with my LocUst it is now done. I am doing a write up for Pitstop soon. Now to start remodelling the dash. I love technical too when it works, till then my scrap pile gets bigger!

Comment

A word of caution, after I redesigned my handbrake lever for twin cables.

There is not a lot of space towards the top of the transmission tunnel when the rear axle reaches its bump stop and the prop shaft instead of sloping up towards the gearbox, it actually slopes down.
                Before venturing out on the road, check the clearances with some serious ballast on the rear bumper. Even with my weight I could get nowhere near the bump stop, but on one stretch of A road near my home, when driving with gusto and a passenger the suspension bottomed out.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Cheers for that Steve I will certainly check it out. I am reasonably sure that with one cable it just goes back a few inches. What we don't want is a bottoming out and the brakes going on!

Comment

Working...
                  X