Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 MoT Rules

Most days I have a look at : http://www.prewarcar.com/postwarclassic/

It's usually worth a few minutes browse, but yesterday I saw this and thought it worth sharing (and there's a pic of a very nice modded Mk2 Jag as well) -

Substantial changes by the Department for Transport mean that more classic cars are freed from MoT and road tax in the near future. That’s the good news. The bad news is that another group of classics may become impossible to be driven legally anymore.

What’s the story? From May 20 next year classic cars of 40 years and older will be exempt for the annual MoT and won’t be charged for road tax either. Currently, only vehicles registered before 1960 are MoT exempt so with the new rules the number of roadworthy classics benefitting from no MoT and no road tax will be more than doubled. But that’s not all the DVLA have envisaged.

These rules are applied to completely standard cars as the new legislation also states that vehicles that have been ‘substantially changed’ still are subject to an annual test. The question now is what ‘substantially changed’ exactly means. It is believed that an ‘eight point rule’ on what is original and what not will be made up. One of the themes included in this is the car’s power to weight ration. A ratio of more than 15% in excess of the car’s original design won’t be allowed, ‘unless’ (there’s always an exception…) ‘such a modification took place before 1988’.

That exception should safeguard most of the historical stuff, but there is no doubt that there will be many others that may fall out. Classic kit cars, custom cars, hot rods, reconstructed classics and plenty of other conversions may become in serious trouble. Not just MGBs with Rover V8s and Mk2 Jags with BMW engines. How about the ‘official’ reconstructions, resurrections and ‘sanction two’ cars by motor manufacturers? We foresee a legal minefield here.

(Words Jeroen Booij, picture Jaguar PR)

Re: 2018 MoT Rules

The way I read it is that some cars will qualify for exemption from MOT. Those that do not will continue to require an MOT, not that they will be banished from the road.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
      The way I read it is that some cars will qualify for exemption from MOT. Those that do not will continue to require an MOT, not that they will be banished from the road.
      That was my impression too
      Last edited by andyf; 20-09-17, 10:17 AM.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

The way I read it to class as a Historic vech. it has to have the origional chassis. So even if your Marlin was built more than 40yrs. ago and retained its donor reg. under the old rules then it will have to be taxed and MOT'd under the new if they apply it retrospec.
        Last edited by h_m_cumming; 20-09-17, 10:34 AM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
          Most days I have a look at : http://www.prewarcar.com/postwarclassic/

It's usually worth a few minutes browse, but yesterday I saw this and thought it worth sharing (and there's a pic of a very nice modded Mk2 Jag as well) -

Substantial changes by the Department for Transport mean that more classic cars are freed from MoT and road tax in the near future. That’s the good news. The bad news is that another group of classics may become impossible to be driven legally anymore.

What’s the story? From May 20 next year classic cars of 40 years and older will be exempt for the annual MoT and won’t be charged for road tax either. Currently, only vehicles registered before 1960 are MoT exempt so with the new rules the number of roadworthy classics benefitting from no MoT and no road tax will be more than doubled. But that’s not all the DVLA have envisaged.

These rules are applied to completely standard cars as the new legislation also states that vehicles that have been ‘substantially changed’ still are subject to an annual test. The question now is what ‘substantially changed’ exactly means. It is believed that an ‘eight point rule’ on what is original and what not will be made up. One of the themes included in this is the car’s power to weight ration. A ratio of more than 15% in excess of the car’s original design won’t be allowed, ‘unless’ (there’s always an exception…) ‘such a modification took place before 1988’.

That exception should safeguard most of the historical stuff, but there is no doubt that there will be many others that may fall out. Classic kit cars, custom cars, hot rods, reconstructed classics and plenty of other conversions may become in serious trouble. Not just MGBs with Rover V8s and Mk2 Jags with BMW engines. How about the ‘official’ reconstructions, resurrections and ‘sanction two’ cars by motor manufacturers? We foresee a legal minefield here.

(Words Jeroen Booij, picture Jaguar PR)
          Yes Dave my mate Dave who now owns my old garage was going on about this the two places we had MOTs done are a bit concerned about them being the bringer of bad news to owners about their cars! The issue for me is that in the event of an accident in a modified car would you find yourself in the dock, or uninsured and bankrupt?

Comment

Originally posted by peterboat View Post
            Yes Dave my mate Dave who now owns my old garage was going on about this the two places we had MOTs done are a bit concerned about them being the bringer of bad news to owners about their cars! The issue for me is that in the event of an accident in a modified car would you find yourself in the dock, or uninsured and bankrupt?
            The aim is to make sure that cars that are modified still have to get an MOT not to suddenly make them illegal. If the modified car has an MOT and the modifications have been declared to your insurance company everything should be fine, your insurance will be valid and you won’t end up in the dock, well not unless you’ve been driving dangerously.
            It will probably mean that more cars have to get an IVA after being modified

Comment

Given kit cars are unique to owners will they go back to IVA as baseline (are records that detailed) or what is on your ins docs to define highly modified ?? I guess it will be defined somewhere in the new rules or need a court case at some point to define it

Comment

Given their nature aren’t kit cars highly modified cars by definition?

Comment

Working...
                X