Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating

I've read the various posts on this problem. I have a 1700 O-series engine and it get really hot and cantankerous in traffic - to the extent that it stalls and gets hard to start. In general it behaves like a '30s sportscar!
    Is there a definitive cure for this, or do I simply have to put up with it?
    As a long term idea I am thinking about changing to a B type engine because it looks much easier to get parts for them. How difficult would it be to change the engine mounts? Presumably the gearbox is the same.
    Finally any other Marlins in my area?

Re: Overheating

Message originally posted by: Liz billings
    Hi Brian. I know of at least 2 members up your way. |Jonathon Marks, Perth & Malcolm McLeod, Glasgow. They may manage to get to the Lakes Invasion in July

Comment

Hi Brian
      I have a bog-standard 1.7 O Series in my LWB roadster and provided I hit the electric fan when I'm in traffic I really don't have any problems. Probably doesn't help your situation but shows the 1.7 can survive happily in the beast.

All the best

Comment

Hi Brian
        Alan is right about the electic fan, it needn't be to complicated just something you can switch on when needed, mine is fitted between the rad and the grill to blow air through the rad but check that the air can only go through and not around the radiator I had a 1700 in my roadster for about 10 years and it worked just fine, I now have a 1800 ex MGB with the B overdrive gearbox but I have still use the fan on very hot days in standing traffic. I don't know if its really needed but I use it just in case.
        Good Luck

Comment

One reason for difficult hot start is that the fuel pump may be getting tired, it then has trouble overcoming any vapour lock in the system.Also try flushing the cooling system out aswell.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Oops! I think I have a slightly different problem. Lifted the bonnet and the coolant was oozing out like cappucino.

This means either I open a cafe or new gaskets, I think.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Ron
              Hi Brian,
              Just noticed your message on the forum, nice to know there is another of these "tempramental beasties" in the area, hope you manage to cure your overheating.

Comment

Message originally posted by: D.Kennington
                I fit a motorbike radiator in the system at as big an angle as possible,and a ali plate to deflect the air through rad plus a three core rad and electric fan,with override switch.

Comment

Working...
                X