Roadster shock absorbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster shock absorbers

Hi there - i have an early Mk 1 SWB Marina based roadster. Could someone please tell me where the shock absorbers come from? are they Marina standard units or are they from another car? mine are very rusty and in need of replacement, especially the rears . . cheers Don

Re: Roadster shock absorbers

Hi Nuttydon,
    The rears are standard marina and fronts are from a Triumph Herald (I believe).
    Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
      Hi Nuttydon,
      The rears are standard marina and fronts are from a Triumph Herald (I believe).
      Cheers,
      That's right. I just cleaned my fronts up ad gave them a coat of Dulux! I had to replace the rears as the Spax units ha seized up, but I used standard units this time.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

many thanks for the replies - i can go shopping now

Comment

Don............Note they are Herald rear shocks that you need Marlin recommended Spax.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

In my experience of the car is not used regularly the SPAX dampers would sieze up.
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi all, If the SPAX are seizing up (they're pricey too), and a Triumph Herald is more obscure than a Marina, has anyone got a recommendation for a more current front shock for an old Marina kit? 250mm compressed length? built in bumper? What is the preferred extended length? I of course will measure soon as I get the torsion rods set up correctly. As usual, any advice or opinion is most welcome.
              Regards,
              Grant (Vancouver).

Comment

Hello, Just to add my input, Apart from possibly rotoflex cars and late spitfires any rear shocks from heralds/ vitesse/ gt6 and spitfires should fit and work. There must be someone supplying these in Canada & US.

Hope that helps

Cheers Phil

Comment

When my original front Spax wore out I fitted a pair of Gaz shocks, part # GT4-2270...they are usually a fair bit cheaper than Spax and I've been impressed by both their longevity and performance.
                  British Parts NW have them listed, albeit currently out of stock. They also list a standard damper. Moss Motors in the US list standard versions & Spax and Rimmer Bros in the UK list Spax, Koni and Gaz alternatives for the stock part # GDA4011.

Your One Stop Shop For All Your British Automotive Parts. Order Online Today! We Have The British Auto Parts That You Are Searching For. Order Today! No Sales Tax. Fast, Courteous Service. Rich Selections. Order Hard To Find Parts. Family Owned & Operated. Fast Shipping.
                  Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                  Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Thanks Phil,
                    Yep there are a few, once you find one, you get equivalents. 1975-1980 Ford Granada Rear Gabriel Gas Shocks ext.17.7" Comp. 10.84" are a cross match. Cheap as dirt and almost as common. Nothing about built in stops. Still doing a bit of looking. Have a Spitfire provider who has not replied yet. I doubt there can be much travel of the shock unless you are offroading. The thing is so light, I'm still hoping to find an adjustable to be able to pick a very low setting.

Comment

Just a thought I had, our local tractor dealer has a lot of different size quad bikes and I went there to get some fuses the other day and took a quick look at their suspension systems. A lot of the shocks look around the the size of herald shocks but with adjustable springs as well. This may be worth looking into, a spring rate of 200lbs is what was fitted to to the early Spitfires and they are about the same weight as a Marlin, some of the quad bikes look to be about the same weight also.

Where you are based this could be an option.

Cheers

Phil

Comment

Working...
                      X